Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Stammering DD 33 months old

(5 Posts)
MrsMarigold Sun 14-Jun-15 10:52:27

I have read up on it the NHS website and wikipedia was quite helpful - I imagine it is developmental stammering but I'm really worried she will be in the 20% of children who don't grow out of it. I am totally ignoring it and just wait for her to get the words out so there is no pressure - can anyone else reassure me. It seemed to come on rather than always having it.

ConcreteElephant Sun 14-Jun-15 11:00:58

For most children, as you have read, it's totally normal. DD certainly did it - it's because their brains are going faster than their mouths. Perfectly normal developmental behaviour. With DD I just slowed everything right down, didn't pre-empt her, finish her sentences or chivvy her along.

She found it a bit worrying as she's quite an articulate little thing (5 now) but I just kept things calm and it seemed to help.

It passed quite quickly as I recall. Please don't worry.

MrsMarigold Sun 14-Jun-15 11:07:53

Thank you that is heartening.

level3at6months Sun 14-Jun-15 11:14:05

I imagine that it is developmental but in Nursery (3-4's) we are advised to refer children with bumpy speech to Speech and Language Therapy asap. I'm not wanting to worry you at all, but I would check with your HV as an early referral does no harm (and waiting lists are long!). Don't worry about it, though - the other poster gives great advice about slowing down your speech, giving plenty of time and not drawing attention to the bumps.

Coffeemonster1 Tue 16-Jun-15 22:53:51

Our DD of a similar age is doing this too at the moment. Her nursery teachers have said how common it is. It is simply them having a lot happenong in their heads and then they try to get it out all in one go and they get stuck with what bit to begin with. I wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now