Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd (almost 5) teeth

(7 Posts)
306235388 Sat 13-Jun-15 10:27:55

God I don't know why I'm posting really but dd has just complained of a sore second back tooth. Checked and it has a chip/hole.

I feel unbelievably guilty. She has had reflux since birth involving lots and lots of sickness and paed was concerned it would affect her teeth but it never had and nowadays she isn't often sick.

Teeth were fine at last check up and she's just due another now so have appointment booked.

She does have sweets and raisins etc so it's my fault and I feel awful.

I have anxiety but this isn't my anxiety talking because quite frankly I've let her down massively. Fuck.

I will call the dentist on Monday but is there anything I can do in the meantime?

FernGullysWoollyPully Sat 13-Jun-15 10:30:45

My dd had the same, it came on very quickly so don't feel guilty. She had an extraction, it was a baby tooth, so an adult tooth will eventually come down and replace it.

You're doing the right thing by getting her in the dentists quickly flowers

FernGullysWoollyPully Sat 13-Jun-15 10:31:29

Oh and give her some painkillers.

306235388 Sat 13-Jun-15 10:47:17

Thanks for replying - did she need GA for the extraction? My Ds has recently had 3 teeth removed under GA. Not because of decay but because of a supernumerary and over crowding.

She's also a bit over weight - Ds was the same at this age and now at 8 is a beanpole. She's very active etc. I am scared they will take her away from me - is that mad? I'm panicking I know.

FernGullysWoollyPully Sat 13-Jun-15 11:32:26

They won't take her away! In the nicest way possible, that is a ridiculous notion and one you need to shake immediately! flowers

Children do carry a bit of puppy fat but usually even out, my dd was solid but has gone a bit stringy now she's 7! As long as they're eating healthily and active, you're doing nothing wrong.

Your son had an op because he had more teeth in his mouth than he should have, that's not your fault.

It's normal to feel guilty about this sort of thing but as you said, 6 months ago, her teeth were ok and you make regular visits to the dentist. Perhaps you should think about helping her more with teeth brushing and mouthwash. Just do the bits she misses. That's my trick with my dc! And eliminate juice/pop, sweets as a treat.

My dd didn't have a GA. We decided that the waiting list was too long. It would have been more than 6months wait. She handled it incredibly well with injections and it was over in literally a couple of minutes.

306235388 Sat 13-Jun-15 12:09:13

Thanks again. How old was your dd at the time?

Really appreciate your response

FernGullysWoollyPully Sat 13-Jun-15 12:13:55

She was 6 but in year 1 so not much older than your dd.

Really, it's ok, you don't have to thank me. It's nice if someone can support another person when they feel bad. I'm not one to hoik my judgy pants up about these things. It's one tooth, it's not like you're mistreating her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now