Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Congested baby - humidifier in room?

(6 Posts)
TheLastPickleInTheJar Sat 13-Jun-15 08:39:07

My ds is 5 months and has had many colds in his short life. Even when he's well he seems to get congested at night which leads him to have difficulty breathing, sleeping and feeding. I've tried saline drops which seem to have no effect on it. It sounds more dry than runny.

I'm wondering whether a humidifier in the room would help but as with everything these days there's so much choice. Does anyone know if a warm air or cool air humidifier would be best? And, do they actually work?

Thanks

lostindubai Sat 13-Jun-15 08:41:48

Try putting a bowl of hot water with the snuffle babe drops in the room. A humidifier might help but we found the drops in water did the trick. Also saline spray might work better than saline drops.

TheLastPickleInTheJar Sat 13-Jun-15 08:53:41

Thanks. I have tried the hot water thing but it doesn't seem to make much difference. And the water cools so quickly.

I might try the saline spray. I do find it hard getting the drops in!

lotsofcheese Sat 13-Jun-15 09:06:53

I used a humidifier with a section for adding oils (used Olbas oil) - you can pick them up on EBay for £20 or less.

I think it helped, as did bed blocks for raising the cot head.

MissesandMuddles Sat 13-Jun-15 09:11:59

I'd highly recommend the Calpol Plugin.

Tomuchcake Sat 13-Jun-15 23:53:53

Try abit of vix on soles of feet.

Trust me, it works

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now