Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hayfever help!

(8 Posts)
Ifyoubuildit Fri 12-Jun-15 11:47:33

DS (6) has been sent home from school with hayfever, it's so severe. He's had piriton but it's not touching the sides. Any advice?

I'm gutted as I had it very badly as a child and breast fed like loon in the hope that it would protect him hmm

dementedpixie Fri 12-Jun-15 11:58:14

see a pharmacist/gp as they may advise some other things to try

SoupDragon Fri 12-Jun-15 12:12:10

As he is 6, you'll probably need to visit a GP. my pharmacist was unable to suggest anything else for my DS and he was 16! Nasal sprays are for adults but can be prescribed to children by a GP.

DS takes Certirizine Hydrochloride and it works well for him (just the cheap Galpharm one from Boots)

SoupDragon Fri 12-Jun-15 12:13:17

With DS it can take a while for antihistamines to stop the hay fever symptoms but when he takes one every morning, he's generally fine until early evening.

codandchipstwice Fri 12-Jun-15 12:24:36

DS has hayfever and under hospital guidance he takes:

2 x adult antihistamines per day (cetirizine or loratidine)
avamys nasal spray x 2 day
montelukast tabs one per day
sodium cromogliate (sp?) eye drops
brown asthma puffer 2 x day
blue puffe as needed

The asthma is a new development this year and is purely hay fever related.

DS is 9 and his allergies were confirmed by hospital blood tests, he is birch pollen allergic (and grass - but birch is what is bad at the moment I think) and this translates into food allergies too - but only oral symptoms.

Whilst I doubt a GP would prescribe all the above straight away you culd look each one up and then see what you want to ask the GP to try next - us saying it was affecting his school work as he was also sent out meant they really did agree to step up his meds and it has helped - he now just seems like a 'normal' hay fever sufferer rather than unable to function.

Staying in school at break times on bad days really helps, as does wearing shades at school (took them a bit to agree to it, but he doesn't like doing so as singles him out.

Also worth trying different antihistamines, until last year phenergan was our med of choice, didn't make him drowsy but did seem to help a bit more til others added into mix.

Really good luck, and poor him, it is so frustrating how debilitating it can be and how often it's impact is minimised

dementedpixie Fri 12-Jun-15 12:59:16

You can buy benadryl liquid anti histamine for kids age 6+ which is cetirizine

ChampagneShowers Fri 12-Jun-15 18:12:21

I cut out dairy and mine disappeared. Worth a try.

cedmonds Fri 12-Jun-15 22:12:17

Ds 8 is really suffering this week at the moment he is on
avamys nasal spray x 2 day
montelukast tabs one per day
sodium cromogliate (sp?) eye drops
Loratidine
|Telfast
and asthma drugs all at adult dose dont know what else they are going to try. Having a shower every day helps and drying clothes in the tumble dryer after they have been on the line

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now