Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Potty training a child with Chronic Constipation

(6 Posts)
Totality22 Fri 12-Jun-15 08:54:21

Sorry - I have also posted this in another section as well.

I have a deadline (nursery!) to get my DS fully potty trained but he suffers chronic constipation. He currently goes a few times per week and can tell me for up to a day that he "needs a poo"... so him telling me he needs to go isn't a good indication iyswim?

When it comes to wee's he has no awareness? He never tells me?

He is 2.5.

Where do I begin with potty training?

TIA

tobysmum77 Sat 13-Jun-15 10:58:45

Which nursery is telling you that you need to 'fully' potty train a 2.5 year old? It's a minority of children who are reliable at that age (I have had one that was and one that is just about getting there now at 3.5 even though she has been out of nappies since well before 3).

Tomuchcake Sat 13-Jun-15 23:48:48

If he had no awareness there is no point starting yet.

If he hasn't seen a doctor he needs to,
Is your son on movical?
He needs a large dose to begin with, to get all the back log out.. Be prepared for massive explosions tho.
So start on 2 sachets on day 1, then the next day 4 sachets, then the next day 6 sachets, then the next day 8 sachets.
After that come back down slowly, 6,4,2 the same way you went up.
Then stay on half a sachet a day, this should do the trick..

But before doing this make sure the doctor agrees as I don't know if there is any medical history or other meds he is on. So talk to gp first

Tomuchcake Sat 13-Jun-15 23:51:27

Once back log of poo is out and he is going regularly the pooing will be easier.

It's not that he feel the needs to poo, I think it maybe he feels the pain to poo.

Even once the constipation is sorted out, if he doesn't feel the desire to wee, he isn't yet ready to be toilet trained.
Sort his poo out then look into potty training in a couple of months.

See your gp

FoylesForBooks Wed 17-Jun-15 21:09:52

our dd's constipation got better when we diluted her bottles of cow's milk with water - so they were about a third water (and more and she noticed). This was on the advice of her urology consultant (for an unconnected kidney condition - we just used the appt to pick her brains on the constipation too).

Pumpeedo Wed 17-Jun-15 21:12:39

Why is he constipated? If he doesn't have bladder awareness and is constipated then I suspect he needs to increase fluids. This is a classic one for the HV to help with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now