Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has anyone managed to get a statement for health reasons only?

(9 Posts)
statementing Thu 11-Jun-15 17:05:22

Has anyone managed to get a statement for medical needs only or retain one when the child has caught up with education and only has health issues?? Many thanks.

Whichseason Thu 11-Jun-15 17:07:44

Statements have been replaced with education health plan. Maybe try sen board. in school we have been told the gov is trying to limit them to health and physical issues and more sever sen.

statementing Thu 11-Jun-15 18:26:23

Thanks I have tried SEN board but no success hence I thought as I was trying to find examples without SEN it might be better here. I am looking for people who obtained old style statement with 1 to 1 hours due to medical needs without any SEN not the new style plans. My DS has a statement at the moment and is not meant to change to a new style plan for a couple of years. I want to see if anyone has experiences for it to continue on medical grounds alone without any SEN needs.

beautifulgirls Thu 11-Jun-15 18:46:42

IPSEA would be your best people to talk to about this for advice. If his medical issues impact on his education, or would do without the support he now gets (ie if that stopped) then it is likely that the statement would be transferred across to an EHCP. The new documents are more likely to be supportive of medical needs than a statement was if I understand things correctly.

statementing Thu 11-Jun-15 19:17:40

Thanks I have spoken at length to Ipsea and they were very helpful but didn't have any actual examples to give me any idea of what might be considered significant enough. I thought it would be interesting to hear of actual cases. They didn't suggest it would be transferred to the new style plan any earlier though. I am sure most medical issues impact on education to a certain extent it is the degree to which that might necessitate support especially 1 to 1 that I am not sure about.

lennonj Thu 11-Jun-15 20:34:49

I do know of a few children who do have statements purely because of the amount of support and supervision their medical condition requires to keep them safe, well and able to learn.

Losingmyreligion Thu 11-Jun-15 20:39:58

My daughter had a statement for medical reasons and I know another pupil who still does.

bsmirched Thu 11-Jun-15 20:48:30

Just today our Senco was saying that one example of a child being given an education health plan that is always trotted out at meetings is for a child with diabetes, so I'd have thought it entirely possible .

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 11-Jun-15 20:50:37

DSs friend is statemented on purely health grounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now