Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

1mo old - soft bit on head feels a bit more indented? Cause for concern?

(25 Posts)
ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 21:15:05

Help please.

Our one month old's soft bit at the top of her skull feels slightly indented from what it was. Is this something to race to A&E about? Only slightly, and I may be imagining it. <panicked>

tortoisesarefab Wed 10-Jun-15 21:17:07

It can mean he is a bit dehydrated with the warm weather. Just try feeding him a bit more

clairewitchproject Wed 10-Jun-15 21:19:04

It can change with blood pressure changes too. If it is bulging, tense or seriously sucked in with a poorly baby that is more of a worry. I would just keep an eye if she is feeding well and behaving normally.

CoperCabana Wed 10-Jun-15 21:24:10

Oh god I hated things like this with my first. I would say if no other symptoms, you are probably fine to leave it, but NO-ONE would think bad of you if you get them checked out,.

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 21:24:50

Thanks, both. Was baking hot all day, so that sounds plausible. She is feeding well. I'm still anxious. How do I judge 'seriously sucked in'?

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 21:25:49

She's my second - first was an autumn baby so not hot weather in the early days! Argh, panic mode!

fieldfare Wed 10-Jun-15 21:31:26

Keep your own fluid levels up and feed her often. It normally just means they could be a little bit dehydrated.
Has she had a normal amount of wet nappies?

gamerchick Wed 10-Jun-15 21:33:30

Sunk just means needs more fluids don't worry. It's bulging that is a concern if I remember right.

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 21:34:05

Thanks for responses. Am feeding her now, sorry for slow replies. Yes, normalish number of wet nappies - possibly slightly less, not sure.

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 21:38:35

She is a little bit clammy.

CoperCabana Wed 10-Jun-15 22:12:43

Does she have a temperature?

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 22:51:15

No. Claminess also gone now.
And further wet nappies.

What signs do I look for to be concerned enough for a&e?
DH not worried. Me - a bit.

Superworm Wed 10-Jun-15 23:05:33

Honestly if the feeding is going fine, you're having 5-6 wet nappies per day, no temp, diarrhoea or any illness , I really wouldn't worry.

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 23:09:31

Thank you, feeling slightly relieved, but you never stop fretting, huh!
When can I expect the indentation to be less indented? She has been feeding most of the evening now. (just nodded off.)
Should I wake her during the night to feed her regularly? I usually feed on demand. She is already sleeping most of the night, usually just one feed during the night.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Superworm Wed 10-Jun-15 23:17:26

I would just let her wake on her own. If she's been cluster feeding, she'll be fine for a few hours. The fontanelle will be ok by tomorrow. Try not to worry and just feed regularly in the day as she's going a bit longer at night (very envy of that!)

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 23:19:50

Fontanelle - ah, I knew it was something like that! Thanks.

Thank you ever so much. Do you have a young baby too? Am lucky with the sleep <hopes I don't jinx it now!>.

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 23:22:33

She just woke up a puked. sad
She hasn't puked often.

Superworm Wed 10-Jun-15 23:23:22

DS is three now but can still be a tricky sleeper. Sleep is a precious thing in our house grin

MrsNextDoor Wed 10-Jun-15 23:25:27

Just keep an eye out OP...has she had any more to drink since the puke?

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 23:27:16

Hope he sleeps well soon!

Yes, Mrs, she has been on again, had a little suck, but now nodded off again. What am I keeping an eye out for please?

MrsNextDoor Wed 10-Jun-15 23:30:01

Well really just for any changes...temperature or more sick. It's unlikely though OP...I remember hot weather does unsettle them a bit really. If she's not hot and is feeding, then she's probably just fine.

When theyr'e listless, not drinking or weeing is when you should worry. They are shockers for stress aren't they?

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 23:30:45

Awake again and feeding ...

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 23:33:02

Thank you. She feels a good temperature, her usual self. Poor old mother - this stress is aging me!

MrsNextDoor Wed 10-Jun-15 23:35:13

Lol! It's sucked the youth out of my old mush that's for sure! grin

I bet it's just the weather OP. It makes me feel out of sorts and I do remember mine being all a bit tetchy in the summer.

ChampagneShowers Wed 10-Jun-15 23:42:12

I have a 4yo too - he's already aged me!

I hope so. Also watched ds swimming tonight and the viewing gallery was hot too, as well as the hot day today. My poor baby girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now