Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Stammering

(8 Posts)
stargirl1701 Wed 10-Jun-15 20:57:13

DD1 is stammering at the moment. She is 2.8 years old. Is this a normal part of speech development or should we contact the HV for a SaLT referral?

topaszopal Wed 10-Jun-15 22:08:25

My DD2 started severely stammering at 2y6mths literally overnight. Had about 3 sessions with a private SLT while waiting for the NHS appointment to come through. Followed advice which was around slowing things down for her. Lasted 3-4 months and then totally disappeared and has never returned. She is now 4y8mths.

stargirl1701 Wed 10-Jun-15 22:18:56

I read about that online. The SaLT is at my school tomorrow so I going to chat with her, I think.

JassyRadlett Wed 10-Jun-15 22:23:56

The exact same happened with DS and coincided with a real leap in his cognitive abilities and desire to self-express.

We found the most helpful thing was really slowing down our own speech - I'm a fast talker!

He's doing it a bit again, only at the start of sentences but it feels more like he's using it as thinking time....

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 10-Jun-15 22:28:18

Totally normal. My friend is a private SALT and won't see anyone for toddler disfluency unless it persists for 6 months or more.

stargirl1701 Wed 10-Jun-15 22:32:09

This has coincided with DD2 beginning to make her presence felt. She is now mobile and 'taking' DD1's stuff. DD1 is very clingy with both DH and I as well as saying 'I cross with DD2' frequently. She dislikes me holding DD2.

Before this, it was all cuddles and kisses!

BigTroubleinSmallBoots Wed 10-Jun-15 22:42:38

My Ds's stammer emerged at the same age to your daughters. I was worried and kept an eye on it. After he was 3.6 months it was getting noticably worse and he was getting frustrated about not being able to communicate easily. We got our GP to refer us to our SaLT service, but it took 5 months from referral to treatment. We then had weekly NHS hour sessions for 18 months doing the Liddcome method which is v v effective with toddlers. He hasn't stammered for nearly three years, sometimes get a little muddied, but don't we all. It was really intense but so worthwhile. He wouldn't have got better 'naturally' and from my understanding it is only a small minority of children who outgrow it without SaLT intervention. Take your concerns seriously and seek professional help if you are worried. It was the best thing I have enabled for my son, the ability to talk freely, fluently and confidently - it's doubled edged sword these days as he never stops!

BigTroubleinSmallBoots Wed 10-Jun-15 22:44:32

Also, sorry for the essay - Liddcome works best for 3-5 year olds, not toddlers. V tired here tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now