Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Stopping gaviscon for reflux

(6 Posts)
cooperbug Wed 10-Jun-15 20:02:22

My baby is just a week off six months old and started weaning last week. Just on one 'meal' per day about 5-6 spoonfuls of fruit or veg so far.

He has been on gaviscon (two sachets) since about 4 weeks old for reflux. When I spoke to the health visitor she advised that when I start weaning to wean DS off gaviscon gradually. So for the first week of weaning I continued to give gaviscon as usual and then on Monday reduced to just one sachet in every bottle. However yesterday and today he has been sick lots and more unsettled than usual. I think I am going to put him back on his normal dose tomorrow if he is the same.

My question is when did you stop/wean off gaviscon and how? Should I wait until weaning is more established before trying again?

ppeatfruit Wed 10-Jun-15 20:58:43

IIWM I wouldn't have started him on gavis. maybe tried different formulas which you could still do. There are different ways of feeding; like only eating fruit on an empty stomach for example which mean you don't get reflux. When weaning I was told to try one food at a time and then see how well the baby digests it.

ShiftyFades Wed 10-Jun-15 23:23:52

I think my DS was 9 months to a year when I stopped Gaviscon, he needed to be properly on solids before I cut it out.
It won't do any harm, wait w few more months and try reducing again.
Good luck!

Picklesauage Thu 11-Jun-15 08:59:19

As I understand it the gaviscon forms a film to help weigh down the stomach contents, make reflux less.
Therefore until the stomach has less liquid and a 'heavier' content he will still need it to take the gaviscon.
I imagine it will be when he is having 2 meals a day.

FortyFacedFuckers Thu 11-Jun-15 09:04:42

My ds still had gaviscon until he stop every bottle and even then he was still sick regularly.

cooperbug Thu 11-Jun-15 20:58:20

Thanks for the replies, I put him back on his usual dose today as he was being sick 5/6 times after feeds, no vomiting since putting him back on it so obviously needs it. Will try again in another month or so.

PPfruit we did try him on a comfort formula before trying the gaviscon but it made no difference

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now