Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Thousands of teenage girls have a bad reaction to HPV vaccine

(24 Posts)
gardasilvaccine Sun 07-Jun-15 22:27:46

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/thousands-of-teenage-girls-enduring-debilitating-illnesses-after-routine-school-cancer-vaccination-10286876.html

gardasilvaccine Sun 07-Jun-15 22:32:29

New Irish Support group for parents of girls who had a bad reaction to the HPV vaccine!

support@regret.ie

BrilliantDayForTheRace Sun 07-Jun-15 22:40:32

Bloody hell!

This is dreadful.

Why / how have we been so brainwashed into believing vaccinations are safe?

ZeroFunDame Sun 07-Jun-15 22:45:37

Others have interpreted the data differently. Might be helpful to listen to More Or Less, Radio 4 where this has just been discussed.

ragged Sun 07-Jun-15 22:48:06

Thanks for link, ZeroFunD.

SanityClause Sun 07-Jun-15 22:48:28

This was very poor reporting by the IOS.

Studies of millions of girls who have received the vaccine do not show any correlation between the vaccine and these auto-immune illnesses.

The thing is, that in a situation where someone has an unexplained illness, they will try to look for a reason why it happened, and this is why the vaccine is often blamed.

Anti-vaxxers don't need to prove anything. They just need to sow a few seeds of doubt to get people to be afraid to vaccinate. The scientists, on the other hand, have to go through long and arduous processes to ensure that the vaccines can be shown to be safe.

I know who I'd believe.

ragged Sun 07-Jun-15 22:54:27

DD described a lot of hysteria while the girls were waiting for their jabs. Loads of tears, active wailing, and threatened fainting. DD went around mothering the hysterics.

Says the bugger hurt, mind, her arm was still sore 2 days later.
That was months ago & she hasn't come back yet with any stories of girls with new mystery illness.

If a true problem is ever found with HPV, would be really interesting to understand the mechanism how it happened.

BrilliantDayForTheRace Sun 07-Jun-15 22:58:18

I know who I'd believe too. The 2,000 girls.

It's not a co-incidence that it's auto-immune diseases. Out of all the problems that could be caused it's always auto-immune diseases.

But then I have had a dr tell me that my child's vaccine reaction was related to my auto immune disease.

Not all drs believe the party line they're being peddled by the vaccine manufactures.

Stripysecrets Mon 08-Jun-15 21:30:47

Having known some friends who's DDs all reacted very badly to the drug, I didn't want any of my dd's to have it.

Klayden Tue 09-Jun-15 21:54:06

Interesting that the article seems to imply fibromyalgia is an auto immune illness. There is zero evidence of this.

PatsyNoPasta Tue 09-Jun-15 22:08:13

I do not understand why anyone would allow their young daughters to be vaccinated with an un-tested product. I have not seen any evidence that the vaccine works. This cancer has always been uncommon and I don't see the point in having the vaccination, if in the future, women will still be invited for tests.

Klayden Tue 09-Jun-15 22:29:43

Just read the article properly, there was actually no mention of vaccines triggering autoimmune diseases. Not sure why there is such hysteria over autoimmune diseases and vaccines from some people.

bumbleymummy Thu 11-Jun-15 17:50:30

Sanity, I don't think this is about 'sowing seeds of doubt'. If so many reactions are being reported, it makes sense to investigate them. Should they just be ignored? No vaccine is ever 'perfectly safe'.

AtomicDog Thu 11-Jun-15 17:53:45

I read about this in the Telegraph- bloody scary!

AtomicDog Thu 11-Jun-15 17:54:53

From what I understood, it was causing POTS in the girls, that they didn't have prior to the vaccination.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 11-Jun-15 18:00:11

blimey. This is certainly a vaccination that I have concerns about. Dd is fully vaccinated. but all those vaccines have been around many years and links to any problems disproven.

but this one is fairly new and to me it stands to reason that there could be many delayed reactions that could come to light in the next few years

I think it's misleading too, to call it the cervical cancer vaccine. It's nit a vaccination against cancer from what I've read. but against a virus that may or may not cause cervical cancer if left untreated. and it doesn't cover all strains so screening is needed regardless of vaccine isn't it?

I genuinely have concerns about safety myself I heard years ago about people reporting similar side effects

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Thu 11-Jun-15 18:06:54

trouble is that PoTS tends to show up at around the same time as the vaccine is given (in the same way as autism starts to become noticeable around the MMR time), so it's really difficult to say whether one causes the other (or more likely, is the trigger for worsening symptoms).

DD2 started fainting a few weeks after she had the HPV final dose, which was eventually diagnosed as PoTS, but crucially, once we got to grips with what PoTS was, and how it affected her, we realised that she'd been having mild symptoms for years and years. So in our case, it may be that the HPV was a trigger for her worsening symptoms, or it may be that there would have been something else, and the timing is just a coincidence.

FWIW, DD1 voluntarily got the HPV (as she was too old for the initial roll-out) and DD3 has had both doses as well. We decided that the potential risk was worth it.

bumbleymummy Fri 12-Jun-15 11:11:55

"trouble is that PoTS tends to show up at around the same time as the vaccine is given"

Isn't the vaccine usually given to 12-13 year olds?

PoTS "Developmental POTS affects adolescents. Often beginning around age 14 years, peaking at 16 years , then slowly fading in young adulthood. It can occur typically after the onset of puberty and sometimes following a period of rapid growth."

Even if it does appear to be purely coincidental, I think it is worth investigating.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Fri 12-Jun-15 17:08:57

As POTS is massively underdiagnosed AND is massively misdiagnosed as ME/CFS/IBS/general teenager-ness, the current info re the ages it appears is pretty flawed. I know of one DC who was diagnosed at age 7, DD was diagnosed at 13 despite being told she was too young. And the symptoms creep up, it's not a "wake up one morning and you can't get out of bed" type of condition. So just because the official ages start at around 14, doesn't mean that that's when the condition starts. I read somewhere the average length of time getting a diagnosis is 10 years shock.

I would be really interested to see some proper research into it though, as even the experts can't properly agree as to what causes/triggers it.

KatieJK Tue 14-Jul-15 16:48:27

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO2i-r39hok

Please watch this TV documentary from Denmark showing girls who have suffered adverse reactions to the HPV vaccination and also neurologists who are asking for these to be investigated.

KatieJK Tue 14-Jul-15 16:56:09

www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/news_and_events/news/2015/07/news_detail_002365.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1

The European Medicines Agency have launched an investigation in possible side effects.

Please note I am not anti-vaccination - my children were all fully vaccinated. My daughter has been unwell for six years and has POTS/autonomic dysfunction following two vaccinations. The onset of the symptoms and the timing of the reactions after the first and second shots make it obvious that her illness was triggered by the vaccine. Like the girls in the TV documentary she was very fit and healthy before all of this.

KatieJK Tue 14-Jul-15 17:01:34

In addition, my daughter had the vaccinations at 18 - she had never fainted, never had any gastro problems or had any autonomic problems before all of this (her medical history was unremarkable). The onset of symptoms was sudden, literally overnight, so her case is not considered to be 'developmental POTS'.

LashesandLipstick Tue 14-Jul-15 17:02:31

I chose not to have this jab, it was just coming in when I was at school, because I didn't feel it had been studied long enough. Glad I did. Even if it's inconclusive I'd rather not risk it

BlackNoSugar Tue 14-Jul-15 17:04:40

I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but I wouldn't let DD have this vaccine. It was untested, and the literature I could find on it stated it would protect against the HPV for five years, possibly ten. DD was 14 with no interest in having a boyfriend. I didn't see the point in her having a vaccine until the point at which she'd need protection i.e. when she was showing an interest in having sex.

Having read this lot, I'm glad I made that choice. I remember saying at the time, "if that vaccine causes problems, they've given it to an entire generation."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now