Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds bad breath?

(13 Posts)
flannelwash Fri 05-Jun-15 09:52:16

Ds brushes his twice a day and uses childrens mouth wash but his breath is still truly awful, always has been! I just don't know what else to try, I make sure hes brushing properly.. Any suggestions?
(ive spoken to his dentist but he just shrugged)

WanderWomble Fri 05-Jun-15 17:56:47

Does he floss? Tonsil stones? I think I'd visit the GP for a check up.

You could buy disclosing tablets to make sure he's actually brushing properly.

nameChangeQueen Fri 05-Jun-15 18:04:27

Do you think it could be coming from his stomach not his mouth? I get acid reflux and indigestion and I can get terrible breath, especially if I've gone a while without eating.

charleybarley Fri 05-Jun-15 18:09:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Follyfoot Fri 05-Jun-15 18:11:39

Does he have problems with his tonsils or adenoids? Those children often have a very specific smell to their breath.

hugoagogo Fri 05-Jun-15 18:14:13

Could he be constipated?

hairypaws Fri 05-Jun-15 18:21:21

My dd always gets bad breath when a tooth is loose and ready to fall out.

Purplehonesty Fri 05-Jun-15 18:22:57

Da gets this too unless he uses adult toothpaste. Any of the kids stuff just doesn't seem to work for him. I brush his tongue too - he is 5

LemonYellowSun Fri 05-Jun-15 18:25:09

I noticed mine did until I changed to adult toothpaste. I think the kids stuff is too mild sometimes

Pumpeedo Fri 05-Jun-15 18:26:48

Get him to blow through his nose on to a mirror. If both nostrils steam the mirror equally then his nasal passages are likely to be free from obstruction. If his teeth are cavity free and he doesn't have a recurrent issue with tonsillitis then the bad breath is a sign of a very healthy digestive system.

flannelwash Fri 05-Jun-15 22:15:38

Thank you so much guys I'll be trying these ideas out!

bumbleymummy Sat 06-Jun-15 09:15:08

Is he drinking enough water?

backtowork2015 Sat 06-Jun-15 19:19:02

no symptoms of diabetes are there? like frequent urination, thirst, fatigue? ketones on the breath is one symptom. people say it smells of pear drops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now