Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about toddler weight

(6 Posts)
Doodlekitty Fri 05-Jun-15 08:16:45

Hi all. Its killing me to have to write this so please go easy.
Ds is 2years 8 months. Had him weighed last weekend and he is 18.5kg. This makes him too heavy for his stage 1 car seat which is apparently suitable up to 4 year. This has freaked me out as he is obviously overweight.

He does not look fat. Hes still in age 2-3 clothes confortably but is big built (to be fair so am I and his dad. Dad is 6'4 and size 13 shoe for eg) He is a size 9.5 shoe and we needed to buy him a teenagers bike helmet as toddlers didnt go near.

Dh and I are overweight, something we are currently trying to tackle and intend to do more with after ds2 arrives in july.
ds1 has a fairly healthy diet but is limited. Will not eat any meat (we eat meat, he wont touch), and limited veg. He is also woth grandparents 2 days a week and they feed him crap despite several discussions on it.

Will I look crazy taking him to doc for advice? Im not sure where I need to start and I dont want weight to be an issue for him like it is for me

IWantDogger Fri 05-Jun-15 08:39:34

As a first step could you put his stats into the child's bmi calculator on NHS website? That would give you an idea of his bmi centile. If it says he would be classed as overweight then I think it's a good idea to go to the GP or health visitor armed with that information and get advice.

Sirzy Fri 05-Jun-15 09:12:21

What does he eat in general? How active is he?

I would start with your hv for advice.

Is nursery an option if grandparents are not listening?

Doodlekitty Fri 05-Jun-15 11:19:18

Will need to check his height for bmi, will do that tonight. He eats a lot of carbs. Basically anything beige: pasta, bread, cheese, cereal. I hide veg in pasta sauce mainly. He gets given whatever we have but will refuse most foods. He loves fruit so snacks are mainly fruit.

He goes to nursery 1 day a week and eats fine there but more time is not really an option due to mat leave.

If im honest I think ive got lazy and am defaulting to food he eats easily for an easy life. A total overhaul is needed but its daunting

Paddingtonthebear Fri 05-Jun-15 11:24:36

Is that heavy for his age? How tall is he?

DixieNormas Fri 05-Jun-15 11:28:29

Ds3 was the same, we looked at portion sizes and upped excercise. More walking, a big trampoline etc. It was really easy to do with it being summer.

He is pretty much the same weight now at just turned 4 and is a perfectly healthy weight for his heught and age

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now