Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Someone with herpes kissed my baby

(11 Posts)
honeydue3 Thu 04-Jun-15 00:55:08

Help! I'm so worried as today my mother inlaw who currently has a herpes cold sore on her bottom lip kissed my 14 week old baby on the top off her head!!!
I quickly washed it of with wet cotton wool as I panicked and did not know what else to do. Is it likely my baby has contracted the virus! sad I'm so upset, I told her she can't pick up the baby as it's dangerous then after a while she forgot and kissed her.

RB68 Thu 04-Jun-15 01:06:28

I think kissing is not a wise move HOWEVER as it was on the top of the head the risk is much smaller as the skin around lips is more porous and wet and therefore the virus more likely to transfer lip on lip. You have done what you can, and just remind her again next time - all you need to say is they are so sore when you get them it would be unfair to pass it on when its easy to just not kiss till its healed etc.

honeydue3 Thu 04-Jun-15 01:17:52

Thank you for your response! I'm kicking myself for not stopping her when she picked my baby up! I did not expect her to kiss her after we agreed that she was not to touch her! Like an idiot I thought I would affend her by saying it a second time and now I can't sleep!
How long will it take to show symtoms if she has contracted it?
Also I have had herpes simplex in the past and I read that my having it will build up my childs immunity to it?

honeydue3 Thu 04-Jun-15 01:18:50

Offend l

StupidBloodyKindle Thu 04-Jun-15 02:02:21

Only dangerous if you have never had a cold sore. You have, so your antibodies cross placenta during pregnancy. She should be fine.

ChannelingFlop Thu 04-Jun-15 02:09:52

She will be fine OP but I totally see why you are worrying. I would be so cross with MIL but, like you, would have been worried about offending and not repeated myself about not touching. I hope she appreciated what she had done and how that would affect you.
Again; your DD will be just fine but it is normal to worry (my DD fed honey to my baby DS a few weeks ago and I am CONVINCED he is going to get botulism)

honeydue3 Thu 04-Jun-15 09:10:05

Thank you all for your helpful messages! Feeling a bit more reassured smile but still watching my DD like a hawk smile

Rosieliveson Thu 04-Jun-15 09:16:59

Hi, I get coldsores with some frequency and forgot once and kissed my own DS. I was nervous about him getting a coldsore or getting ill but he was ok. I was told that it's usually only a risk if there is broken skin.

Schoolaroundthecorner Thu 04-Jun-15 09:21:40

Same thing happened to me with DS when he was tiny. It was a friend and I am still mad about it. Was also top of the head and all was fine though thank goodness!

AmyElliotDunne Thu 04-Jun-15 09:24:50

Perhaps you shouldn't have said not to touch the baby at all. If she had washed her hands properly and crucially didn't kiss the baby then picking her up and having a cuddle should be fine. It seems really PFB mean not to even let her hold the baby, making her feel like a leper!

FWIW, my DP gets them and I am very wary about making sure he's washed his hands before we go to bed and he puts on a patch if we're getting frisky in case he forgets and kisses me. We have had arguments before when he was offended that I made a big deal out of it, so I know the worry about not wanting to repeat yourself.

Could you buy her some of those Compeed patches for her to cover it over in case she forgets again?

AmyElliotDunne Thu 04-Jun-15 09:26:06

I've never had one btw, so whether it's due to being careful, just luck or some sort of immunity I don't know. None of my immediate family (parents, siblings or DCs) have had one either touch wood which might point to immunity?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now