Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

anyone used pizotifen for kids for headaches? Or any GPs around?

(16 Posts)
steppemum Tue 02-Jun-15 14:09:01

I have a thread running about dds headaches. Dd is 10.

Last GP visit she was prescribed pizotifen which is a migraine preventative.

Her headaches are not like migraines (no visual symptoms). They are not very painful, more draining. The pizotifen has reduced them so that she is no longer asking for paracetamol all the time, but they are still there.

So she has had a constant headache now for nearly 3 weeks. She wakes up with it. She started taking meds on Friday, the head aches are less but still there.

GP said come back in 3 weeks, or if they aren't working come back sooner.

So my question is, how long should it take for the meds to start working? Are they an instant thing, or do they take a while to build up? Is 5 days too soon to say they aren't working?

The GP we have seen is not available for 3 weeks anyway. But I don't want to wait if this isn't working.

Not happy with what I am reading about pizotifen anyway.

Just really don't know if I should go back and insist on referral to neurologist, or take it more softly or what. sad

steppemum Tue 02-Jun-15 14:09:33

thread here

steppemum Tue 02-Jun-15 21:36:23

bump hoping for someone medical

Edenviolet Tue 02-Jun-15 21:41:37

My ds1 (8) has been on pilot idem since he was 2.5 for severe migraines
We have not noticed any bad side effects apart from near constant hunger!

Before they were prescribed he had a brain Mri and eeg and he is reviewed by a neurologist every six months so I think you should push to be referred. He also has triptans for any breakthrough headaches

Edenviolet Tue 02-Jun-15 21:42:06

Pilot idem - pizotifen !

AfroPuffs Tue 02-Jun-15 21:42:15

Im not medical but i was on pizotifen after having a migraine every day (varying pain) over 9 wks. It helped but made me feel like a zombie and you seem to get rebound headache. What did stop it once and for all was magnesium. Oil to rub on temples for a few nights OR even simpler epsom salts. Long soak in the bath. After 1 use of salts it went and stopped the cycle.

BlackSwan Tue 02-Jun-15 21:42:27

Not medical - but experienced... Has your GP considered an MRI?

You may have to push for it, and hopefully it is nothing sinister, but why, given the length of time she has had this headache, aren't they fully investigating.
www.headsmart.org.uk

steppemum Tue 02-Jun-15 22:03:38

Thanks all.
She is not a complainer and has just pottered along. It is really hard to know how bad it is and how poorly she is. The medication has definitely reduced them, but it seems a heavy drug to use as a first step. I am not very happy with it and wondered how normal it was.

I guess I just wanted some idea as to whether I should go back sooner and push for neurologist.

Does pizotifen work straight away, or does it need time to build up?

steppemum Tue 02-Jun-15 22:05:20

Afro - sorry, can you clarify - your headaches stopped with magnesium? What was the oil? Do epsom salts contain magnesium then?

Maladicta Tue 02-Jun-15 22:13:04

Watching this with interest.

Ds2 has had constant headaches since Christmas. MRI clear but blurring of optic nerves. Not migraines and no other obvious triggers.

He already sees a paed for asthma but the gp has requested an urgent review.

Surprised your dd hasn't had a scan though, the gp suggested the MRI was the belt and braces approach to headaches in children.

steppemum Tue 02-Jun-15 22:27:41

The more I see on here the more hmm I am about not being referred.

She has had them on and off since before Easter holiday and constant for 3 weeks. We have seen GP twice, first time she asked us to get eye and dental check (she has slightly clicky jaw) second time was last Friday and she prescribed pozitifen.

Maladicta Tue 02-Jun-15 22:37:52

Our gp wasn't happy to prescribe anything without paed looking at him first.
(Ds is 11)

BlackSwan Wed 03-Jun-15 06:30:19

Just put your foot down. Take her elsewhere if your GP isn't listening.

WipsGlitter Wed 03-Jun-15 06:57:17

Definitely push for a referral. Three weeks is a long time.

steppemum Wed 03-Jun-15 21:18:32

yes I am going to take her back and get a referral (sorry been at work today very long day)

Can anyone answer my question though, (I can't find the answer when I google pizotifen)

Does pizotifen work straight away, or does it need time to build up?

DeeWe Fri 05-Jun-15 14:22:12

Dd2 was put on this round about Christmas for cluster migraines.

They made her very sleepy the first week, so sleepy I thought she wasn't going to be able to carry on. But then she was better the next week and now she's back to her old self.

It doesn't totally stop the migraines, but it tends to reduce how many and how bad they are.

Was the eye check at a high street opticons or was it at the hospital? Because dd2 had both done, and they said they were checking very different things at the hospital, not just her vision but also looking at the eye in detail.

Another thought is I have a clicky jaw, and I do tend to clench it at night sometimes which gives me a migraine. You can get some sort of guard from the dentist I think. Is this worth following up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now