Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

crusty red patch, eczema?

(8 Posts)
Snozberry Mon 01-Jun-15 07:45:10

DD age 2 has a small, half inch round patch of red skin. It's sort of leathery/crusty and doesn't seem to be bothering her. It's been there for a few weeks but briefly cleared up before returning.

In googling it seems likely to be eczema except the images of eczema look like spots and DDs patch is a flat patch rather than spotty.

Does anyone know what it might be? Would you visit a gp/nurse about it or self treat? (I have health anxiety so never know!)

OhEmGeee Mon 01-Jun-15 20:58:47

Ringworm or impetigo?
Have you put anything on it like a moisturiser?

LIZS Mon 01-Jun-15 21:01:07

I'd bet impetigo for which you need ab cream as very contagious. Does she go to childcare?

LastGleaming Mon 01-Jun-15 21:10:50

Sounds like impetigo. I've had it and two other girls in work got it at the same time as me.

OhEmGeee Mon 01-Jun-15 21:22:06

If it is impetigo it's very contagious so you need to wash hands and use separate towels etc. I would go see the gp just incase it is as you'll need a cream.

Snozberry Mon 01-Jun-15 22:32:33

Thanks for the replies. She doesn't go to childcare. Googling impetigo I'm not sure as the images look much harsher than DDs patch, but it could be. I've put sudocrem on which cleared it up but it came back, does impetigo come and go? I'll take her to the GP incase.

Slippersandacuppa Mon 01-Jun-15 22:59:43

I had impetigo as a child and it was much worse than you describe. Big patches with peeling edges and oozing centres. They got quite big too (sorry...bleurgh).

A couple of my DCs have had patches like you describe. DC4 (who's 1) had several. I wanted to try one more thing before going to the doctor (thinking they might suggest the same thing they had for DC3 - Aveeno, which I wanted to avoid). I got a tub of pure Shea butter from l'occitane and it was nearly instantly better. Not a patch now - I use it on all of them (a little goes a long way). You can get it cheaper on the internet (without all the lovely smells and pleasant shopping experience).

Slippersandacuppa Mon 01-Jun-15 23:01:04

(Apparently I favour brackets today)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now