Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DDH - Please sign this petition so that hip spica children can have a blue badge

(5 Posts)
caffiene99 Thu 28-May-15 13:55:55

www.change.org/p/justin-tomlinson-mp-blue-badge-parking-automatically-grant-a-blue-badge-to-all-children-in-a-spica-cast

This petition is requesting that all children who are fitted with a hip spica cast are automatically provided with a blue badge so that their parents can park in disabled spaces.

A hip spica cast covers a child's legs and hips - leaving just a hole for nappies/toileting.

My son will be fitted with his second hip spica cast later this year - just after his second birthday. He won't be able to walk and he won't fit into trollies - he might not even fit in his buggy.

Having access to these spaces would make our lives much much easier but, because he's under 3, we won't be automatically eligible for the blue badge.

There might be other people here who are dealing with DDH - Any support you could give by signing and sharing the petition would be helpful.

MrsStarwars Sat 30-May-15 22:28:09

Signed. I sympathise with your situation, my son had a hip spica cast last year for 6 weeks and we encountered all kinds of problems getting him in and out of car and into wheelchair.
We are lucky in that his cast was only temporary for a broken leg, but I understand how difficult this would be for others on a long term basis.
All the best with the campaign.

WalkingThePlank Mon 01-Jun-15 11:30:41

Signed. It looked like my DS might need a spica cast for different reasons. Luckily we managed to avoid it. I hope it goes well for your son. x

jn367502 Fri 05-Jun-15 17:24:19

my son was in a hip spicy and we were given a blue badge. It was temporary until he was fully treated. have you spoken to your local council?

jn367502 Fri 05-Jun-15 17:25:10

spica (damn auto correct)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now