Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Overweight DS 12

(43 Posts)
JennyFromTheNorthEast Mon 18-May-15 17:46:12

My DS has always been fairly slim but over the last 18 months he's gained loads of weight. He now has chunky thighs, a very prominent double chin , little man boobs and most worryingly a very big belly which seems to have come from nowhere. His diet isn't bad, although he eats a fair bit. Any advice/ideas ?

WishUponAStar88 Tue 19-May-15 10:45:51

How active is he? In the simplest terms if he is putting on weight then he is eating more than he is burning off. If he has a healthy balanced diet then I'd be looking to increase exercise. It doesn't have to be structured exercise if he doesn't like sports but maybe bike rides, swimming at the weekend, walking instead of the car for shorter journeys etc.

Mashtag Tue 19-May-15 10:47:45

Exercise is great, valuable, important in loads of ways.
It isn't much good at shifting weight.

He needs to eat less
Is diet is good then look at portions
Reduce snacks
Stop useless calories from drinks, juice etc

Encourage eating when hungry, eating slowly and mindfully and stop when full

JennyFromTheNorthEast Thu 21-May-15 19:26:04

He is very inactive, it's almost impossible to interest him in exercise.

lljkk Thu 21-May-15 19:32:16

Does he walk to school?

JennyFromTheNorthEast Thu 21-May-15 20:50:59

Only very occasionally.

lljkk Thu 21-May-15 20:56:57

Could he walk more? It's an easy way to get exercise, build it into one's commute.

JennyFromTheNorthEast Thu 21-May-15 21:20:03

I could try and get him to walk more but it's quite a long way.

Picklesauage Fri 22-May-15 19:55:17

My first reaction to a child this age gaining lots of weight is the fact that they have more opportunity and access to junk food at school. Normally the first time they can go to the shop themselves regularly or buy unhealthy food for lunch and break at school.
I see kids everyday choosing to buy chocolate and crisps for lunch instead of actual food! Could this be it?

nashvillerocks Fri 22-May-15 20:27:02

I've found myself in a similar situation with my ds2 (10) recently. He was always very slim, scrawny in fact, but over the last year he's 'filled out'. In general his diet is fairly healthy - mainly home cooked, non-processed food but I realised he was doing a lot of snacking. I'd buy a packet of biscuits and (with the help of his older brother) they would be scoffed in a day or so. I have basically cut out all the rubbish (I've stopped buying biscuits, crisps etc) and made sure there's plenty of fruit etc to snack on. I've also introduced rules eg. Only allowed sugary breakfasts (Nutella etc) at weekends. I also realised he was leaving the healthy part of his packed lunch, instead he would eat a sugary cereal bar so I've started giving him a roll and drink and this seems to do him. I have been pretty lenient re treats at weekends but just introduced a more healthy (less sugary) way of eating during the week. It's made a real difference and already I can see a huge difference. He's reasonably active but does have sloth-like tendencies and needs to be encouraged. I do appreciate he is only 10 and it's easier to control a 10 year olds intake much more easily than a 12 year olds.

WindMeUpAndLetMeGo Fri 22-May-15 21:00:56

My 12 year old DS is the same, he doesn't have school dinners or have money to buy things I don't know about. It's not a popular theory on here but I do think their age and change of hormones etc do play a part.

JennyFromTheNorthEast Sun 24-May-15 09:27:06

Although the amount of food that my DS eats has hugely increased, I do agree that age and hormones play a part.

WindMeUpAndLetMeGo Sun 24-May-15 16:31:13

They need the extra food for the changes their body's are making IMO, I don't worry to much with DS as I do feel it will all balance out in time. All I do is try and steer him towards healthier choices, though that's mainly for nutrition rather than weight.

JennyFromTheNorthEast Sun 24-May-15 18:12:28

Unlike you I am worrying a bit, he seems to have put on more weight than I would imagine is necessary for body changes.

chiefbrody Sun 24-May-15 18:14:07

How tall and heavy is he

JennyFromTheNorthEast Sun 24-May-15 18:37:25

Height: 4 foot 8 inches
Weight: 7st 5lbs

JennyFromTheNorthEast Sun 24-May-15 18:40:18

Correction: weight is actually 7st 8lbs

Rivercam Sun 24-May-15 18:45:52

you mentioned that he doesn't walk to school much. Did he walk to his primary school? If so, the loss of that exercise could be a factor to his weight gain. Do,you pick him up,from school? If so, encourage him to walk home after school, if it's walkable, or get him to meet you away from school ( because it's easier to park...).

You also say the amount he eats has increased. In that case, watch his portion size.

Factor in exercise - go for family walks at weekend, or cycle rides. He may kick up a fuss, but be strong and insist. Have you any friends with dogs. Sometimes dog walking can make a walk more interesting.

Alternatively, encourage him to go geocaching. This will encourage him to walk, without realizing so.

sparkysparkysparky Sun 24-May-15 19:29:29

The weather is improving which will help. Geocaching is a great idea.

gymboywalton Sun 24-May-15 19:32:15

what about school sports?

that is quite overweight i think
my son is 11 and 7 stone 5 but he is 5' 3"

have you talked to him about being active?

BabyGanoush Sun 24-May-15 19:36:27

He is a bit shorter than average then?

(I may be wrong! My 12yr old DS is 5ft4)

I think they have a massive growth spurt around that age (your boy may be about to start his!), DS has grown 5 inches in a year, which apoarently is normal for 12-14 yr old boys shock

Also, he is permanently starving. It is hard to restrict food at this age.

I do think being active is key, not because of calorie burning but because:

- muscle building (more muscle less fat)
- simply put: when you are busy and active you are not eating nor thinking about food
- it gives endorphins, makes you feel good, less cravings
- it is fun

Just find activities he likes (mine gave up judo but has taken up fencing), go for walks on the beach/woods

Getting active is they key to health and happiness, in my very limited experience.

JennyFromTheNorthEast Fri 29-May-15 13:26:12

I think my DS is about average height but I'd like him to have a growth spurt so that he isn't as overweight.

gordonpym Sat 30-May-15 02:56:30

It is good on you to have noticed something is not right and even better to start looking for advice. I would say you need to focus more on food than sport.
So ready and steady, here are some questions for you and the answers are yours only, no need to share them here.
You say his diet is not bad, but what is his diet? Do you buy crisps, chocolate? How often do you buy take aways? KFC? Fish and chips? Do you have mayo, sauces in the house? Fizzy drinks, juices, squash? Dressings, doritos and dips? Do you add cheese , cream to dishes?
Pounds do come from somewhere. Either he buys stuff or he just opens the cupboard. Start doing a massive cleaning of all the junk food in the house and drop it to a charity.
Do you find food in his room? Crumbs, empty cans? Empty biscuits boxes?
Do you eat with him? Do you eat seated at a table or in front of the tv/computer?

Do not restrict food. Put plenty on the table. Yummy tomatoes and basil salads, grilled chicken breast, grated carrots, prawns, mussels, even the old classic steak and a lovely baby lettuce, steamed rice, ... Fill the fridge with summer fruit. Watermelon, melon, strawberries, blueberries, even bananas...

TheUnwillingNarcheska Sat 30-May-15 05:58:38

When you say school is "a long way" exactly how far is it and how long does it take him?

If you do drive him could you not drive him half way and let him walk the rest of it? It doesn't have to be to the school door.

We moved house and our usual walk to primary school had to become a drive. I park a distance from the school to make us walk (I love walking) whatever the weather to force the issue. Even when it is torrential rain, I still do the same walk.

When he was 7 Ds2 would moan on a 20 minute walk to the local town, but will happily run around for 3 hours in the countryside before a picnic grin

Ds1 chunked out when puberty hit in primary. It took a while before he grew vertical which evened it out. But walking to secondary school every day made a difference but he also does a sport twice a week.

JennyFromTheNorthEast Sat 30-May-15 22:03:54

My son's school is about a 15-20 minute walk away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now