Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Undescended Testicle in baby

(10 Posts)
Memphisbelly Fri 15-May-15 12:27:42

My LO is four months old and one has dropped but the other moves but doesn't pull down, went for his consultation and he is having the operation to bring it down in 8 weeks.

Has anyone been through this before I know it is quite common but I was so shocked they would do it while so small I didn't ask any questions.
Will he be in over night? Would I have to buy bigger nappies so they are looser on him groin?

Thanks in advance.

Momagain1 Fri 15-May-15 23:19:58

I thought it was something they werent bothered about for another year or two. Though maybe your ds's situation of moves but not down means attention is needed?

I honestly cant recall the timetable on my ds.

Memphisbelly Fri 15-May-15 23:48:09

Thank you for reply. It moves so it isn't imbedded in the muscle but it cannot be moved around more than a few mm. He said he needs it done as soon as he turns 6 months.
I thought he would say come back in a year so it just took me by surprise.

UnbelievableBollocks Sat 16-May-15 00:08:18

both of DSs testicals were undescended. We were told to wait until he was 2.
By the time he was 2, one had descended naturally and there was a quick op for the other.
6 months seems ever so young. The advice for my DS was to wait it out, but that was 5 or so years ago now, so maybe that's changed.

Memphisbelly Sat 16-May-15 07:28:19

My gp said that if they aren't totally free and can't be pulled down it can cause problems with hormones and infertility. If they are auite free they leave them longer. Thr consultant did say this one wouldn't move on its own.
Part of me is glad he will have it done now so he won't remember it (my ds had grommits at 3 and is still petrified of docs now) bit he is just so small

NonDom Sat 16-May-15 07:31:53

DS had his done at at 2y3m.

Scootergrrrl Sat 16-May-15 08:10:08

My son had an operation on undescended testicles at about 2. We stayed in the night before and the night after, although we were living in Germany at the time and I understand it's normally day case in the UK. He recovered very quickly - took me slightly longer to get over it smile

Memphisbelly Sat 16-May-15 08:29:20

Thankyou for replies.
Scoooter yes I imagine I will take longer to get over it too.

NonDom Sat 16-May-15 12:08:30

DS was a day case - home by 5pm. He was back to himself after a night's sleep.

sarahsarahw Sat 16-May-15 23:01:23

Hey Memphisbelly,

It's good the undescended testicle can be felt so easily, as it's going to be an easier operation for him. I know how you feel, 6mo seems so young for our DS's but the latest clinical guidance says do the surgery as early as possible, as it helps with fertility and may reduce the chance of cancer later in life.

It's especially good because your DS won't remember it! My DH had his undescended testicle fixed when he was 3 (like your other DS) and it traumatised him for life. If your other DS doesn't improve in a year or two, you may want to seek help, or it could affect him into adulthood.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now