Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone's child had growth hormone injections?

(11 Posts)
littlequestion Wed 13-May-15 14:32:42

We are applying for growth hormone treatment for my DS who is 10.

His consultant told us we need to decide the method by which he will receive the injections but said she can't really advise which one. She has given me a list to look up but I'm feeling a bit blinded by science and would really like some firsthand accounts. Has anyone any experience with any of these - humatrope, genotropin, omnitrope, norditropin, Saizen?

Thanks v much

anadinextra Wed 13-May-15 14:51:22

yes we were given 3 dvds to watch to choose the device by our consultant. We chose norditropin because it can be out of the fridge for 28 days and we have never regretted it. My son is 10 and is injecting himself. Where are you located as I am sure my son would be happy to show you.

littlequestion Wed 13-May-15 15:09:22

Thanks very much - we're in the south east. I guess norditropin can be out of the fridge as it needs to be reconstituted? Is this a faff?

anadinextra Wed 13-May-15 16:22:16

No there is no faff, no mixing. Nothing to do except put the needle on and inject. My son is 10 and does it himself. I will pm you our location. Most people seem to prefer it on the forums. In America they often seem to have to change from norditropin for price and are often complaining about preservatives in others or the mixing up or keeping in fridge. The only other ones I consistently hear good things about are mini quicks or easy pod.

littlequestion Wed 13-May-15 16:37:21

Thanks very much, anadinextra.

Sidge Wed 13-May-15 16:40:12

My DD2 is 11 and has been on Norditropin since she was 14 months old.

It's in a pen similar to an insulin pen. The cartridge is put into the pen, there's no reconstitution or mixing to do. You screw the disposable needle on, twist the end to the correct dose then inject. It's very easy and the needles are so fine.

PM me if you want any more info.

littlequestion Wed 13-May-15 20:28:22

Thanks both.. I showed DS the online videos of both Norditropin and the easypod and he slightly preferred the easypod as you don't see the needle....but looking at the easypod again you have to reconstitute it and keep the solution in the fridge. I like the fact you both say the Norditropin is so easy.

anadinextra Wed 13-May-15 20:49:26

You DONT see the needle on the norditropin unless you choose not to use the cover. Some children prefer to see the needle so they can position it accurately so use it without the cover. We still use the cover. We were adamant we wanted one that could be out of the fridge and have never regretted it as we go on camping weekends without a fridge and travel overnight on ferry to France etc. It has been much easier for cubs and school trips too as it is one less thing for them to worry about. Have seen people post on forums that hotels have put it in the freezer by mistake or that they have had to throw it away as left out of the fridge overnight. It also just seems like an additional stress if there is an option not to do so.

littlequestion Wed 13-May-15 20:56:37

Ah, thanks for pointing out about the needle, anadinextra. Which forums are you talking about - the Child Growth Foundation? I've applied to join on Facebook and also had a chat with them.

anadinextra Wed 13-May-15 21:29:50

Yes the CGF are excellent, both the helpline and the facebook forum. Also the USA magic foundation one is interesting if only to make us grateful for the NHS as they have so many issues getting insurance to cover and still have to pay a huge excess.

samsswampy Wed 13-May-15 21:35:05

My son has saizen injections with an easypod, he has had them for nearly 4 years with no problems

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now