Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

constipation or diarrhaea?

(8 Posts)
auntytt88 Thu 07-May-15 11:42:24

My 2 month old has had loose mucusy pooh for just over 2 weeks. Have changed milk from hungry baby back to first stage and also tried her on shop bought rather than powder. Called doctor as was not getting any better and she too has said its constipation. No having to give lactulose twice a day. She is still very runny and loose and do not know what else to try. Any body have any advice?

dementedpixie Thu 07-May-15 12:01:56

Why would they be treating for constipation with loose poo? was you lo unwell? There can be a temporary lactose intolerance after a tummy bug which can lead to diarrhoea but it should improve in time.

Alternatively it could be an intolerance to cows milk protein. did they always have loose poo with mucus?

seaoflove Thu 07-May-15 12:09:01

Doesn't sound like constipation to me. Constipation can present as runny stools (or "overflow": poo that leaks around a hard blockage) but I'd be surprised if that was the case in a two month old.

Please go back to the GP.

SpringInTheStep Thu 07-May-15 12:22:15

Overflow is usually very smooth and an even tan colour.

I know some formula can cause constipation but if it doesn't look like overflow then it probably isn't. Unless 2 month old babies have a special type of overflow I don't know about?

Perhaps run it past your health visitor.

auntytt88 Thu 07-May-15 12:24:26

She has always been fit and well. It started mucusy and green and when she was poohing it seemee asthough it was comi g around something and not just coming with ease. Was advised to change from hungry baby back onto stage 1 milk By hv who said it was poss due to constipation. DOne this but made no better. Called docs who prescribed lactulose and have been on for 2 days now. Just dont know what to do.

dementedpixie Thu 07-May-15 12:36:57

You shouldn't really have been using hungry milk so young. What milk are you using? how long were you back on first milk before lactulose?

auntytt88 Thu 07-May-15 12:40:56

Was on hungry baby as the first milk did not satisfy. Had to do same with my first. Was on first milk for a week before doc prescribed lactulose. She is on sma stage 1 now.

seaoflove Thu 07-May-15 13:03:32

I'm very wary of hungry baby milk. It's more difficult to digest, which is why it makes babies go for longer between feeds. With such a young baby I'd expect them to want feeding regularly, so personally I would feed first milk more often, rather than opt for hungry baby milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now