Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Perforated ear drum not healed

(10 Posts)
MiloCat Tue 28-Apr-15 19:27:26

Dd (2.5) had an ear infection and a perforated ear drum 4 weeks ago. She was given antibiotics and it cleared up quickly.

She has never picked up 100% and occasionally complained that her ear hurt. I took her back it the drs today and when they looked in her ear, said it hadn't healed and was quite a bad tear. She's referred us to ENT.

I'm hoping that by the time she's seen, it will have healed. Is that likely or given it's been 4 weeks now, will it not heal by itself? What will they do?

Thanks.

AlmaMartyr Tue 28-Apr-15 19:38:30

There are operations to fix perforated eardrums (myringoplasty?) although I think they're not normally done until grown up - I had mine at 15.

That said, hopefully it will just heal on its own but I have no idea how likely that is, sorry.

MiloCat Tue 28-Apr-15 21:39:00

Thank you.

AlmaMartyr Tue 28-Apr-15 22:26:45

No worries, hopefully someone a bit better informed will be along soon. ENT will probably do a hearing test to see how she's doing too. Good luck, you must be quite worried.

MiloCat Mon 11-May-15 08:05:17

Bump smile.

AlmaMartyr Wed 13-May-15 20:45:53

How's she getting on Milo?

MiloCat Wed 13-May-15 21:03:32

She's not complained that it's hurting for a few days but she's still grumpy as hell sad. We have the ENT appointment but it's not until the end of June! Just hoping it's healed by then.

Thanks for asking smile.

switchitoff Wed 13-May-15 21:49:05

Perforated ear-drums can take longer than 4 weeks to heal up by themselves, so chances are your DD will be absolutely fine by the time the ENT appointment comes round. They will want to check that her hearing is OK, because obviously children at that age are learning new words all the time, so it's important for her speech development that her hearing is as good as possible.

DS has had 15-20 perforated ear-drums. The ones when he was little always healed up by themselves eventually. The two he had when older (aged 14+) didn't heal up by themselves and he had two myringoplasty operations. This involves building a new ear-drum from a skin graft. Amazing what they can do! His hearing is absolutely fine now.

SnottySundays Thu 14-May-15 18:23:47

4 weeks is a very short time for it to heal, plenty of time yet for it to heal spontaneously.

MiloCat Thu 14-May-15 19:24:46

That's really good to hear, thank you smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now