Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4yo headaches?

(7 Posts)
Tiredoftiredness Mon 16-Feb-15 20:22:51

hi

Starting to worry about ds (4) and after some advice/experience please!

Ds says frequently (most days) that he's got a headache. I've been trying to ignore til now as I think it's probably just attention seeking but it's starting to niggle at me that it could be something more.

Perfectly healthy normally bar the usual cough/colds and it's usually but not always when he's been crying/running around etc.

neolara Mon 16-Feb-15 21:35:56

I'd get his eyes tested.

Tiredoftiredness Mon 16-Feb-15 22:31:06

Thankyou! Can't actually believe that hasn't occured to me, but will def look into it. If nothing else it will be interesting to see how they test little ones eyes!

IDismyname Mon 16-Feb-15 22:47:52

I'd get him checked out at the dentist. DS complained of headaches for a while. Got his eyes tested, changed his pillow ( as he said his neck was sore when he woke up) and he eventually was diagnosed with TMJD a couple of years later.

He'd been clenching his teeth at night. So much so, that he was weeks away from splintering them. Strangely, the dentist hadn't picked up on it because DDs wasn't grinding them, just clenching. DS was in bed, grey with pain.

It took a lot of unravelling via several consultants and a brain scan. He was off school for 7 weeks. It's not something I'd want any other parent to go through.

I hope you get it sorted.

APlaceInTheWinter Mon 16-Feb-15 22:54:27

Is he dehydrated? I'm just linking it with crying and running around. Both can cause you to need fluids and if he's not getting enough then it could lead to a headache.
Otherwise, my first thought was an eye test.

Tiredoftiredness Tue 17-Feb-15 22:12:33

Booked an opticians appointment today!

Sorry to hear about your ds ishould, that must have been really hard. Glad you got it figured out, and hope he's much better now?

Thanks winter, I did wonder about dehydration too but he's usually got a drink available and knows to just ask if he wants one but I have been trying to push him to drink more just in case.

Thanks everyone for replying, I really appreciate it!

VenusRising Tue 17-Feb-15 22:15:56

I was going to suggest eye test, but I see it's been posted.

Make sure they test for convergence and not just focal length. Also test for eyes moving together- sometimes a muscle will pull the eye outwards, or inwards more than another muscle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: