Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezy three month old

(16 Posts)
Madjackmcvitae Sun 15-Feb-15 10:26:50

Hi, my three month is sounding really wheezy. It is worse after a feed but can be heard at other times as well. She coughs as well, not constantly but it can be quite bad when she starts. She's not poorly, feeding well, but looks like she's working hard to breathing sometimes. She's not fractious and seems her smiley self. I know it can be down to feeding sometimes but should I take her to drs just to be checked? I don't want to take a valuable appointment if it's one of those things with feeding.
Thank you (paranoid mum)

nocoolnamesleft Sun 15-Feb-15 18:05:30

A 3 month old whose breathing looks harder than normal is NOT using up a valuable appointment. It's exactly the sort of thing the appointments exist for. Please get them checked out.

(This time of year, it may well be bronchiolitis. This is basically caused by cold viruses, but in babies the same thing that happens in your nose and throat - red/angry/swollen/sore/twitchy/gunky - can happen down in their airways. This makes their breathing noisy. But it can make it hard work to breathe. You can start to see this because you see sucking in more between the ribs/below the ribs, and breathing faster. You can sometimes even see their head bobbing with each breath, or their nostrils flaring, or hear a grunting noise - signs that it's really getting bad. There's no magic fix, but it gets worse before it gets better, and quite a few babies need help to feed, or to keep their oxygen levels up. And, of course, somene to listen to their chest and make sure it doesn't sound like anything else)

Seriously, your baby is probably fine, but please get them checked out. I'd happily see 100 3/12 babies who didn't need to be seen, than miss the one that did.

Madjackmcvitae Sun 15-Feb-15 21:43:25

She is sucking in a bit under the ribs.
Thank you. I will give them a ring tomorrow and get her looked at. She seems more tetchy tonight.

bialystockandbloom Sun 15-Feb-15 21:46:35

It sounds like bronchiolitis, and at 3 months old she should be seen tonight. Don't leave it till tomorrow. Call out of hours doc tonight IMO.

LostMyBaubles Sun 15-Feb-15 21:47:02

I would get her checked too..

ds2 suffered from broncoilitis at that age and was hospitalised.
Ds3 is 6 months has been on amd off wheeze (was put on inhalers last month) and was diagnosed with croup and bronchiolitis on Monday. Was checked today and its turned intk a secondary infection amd now requires antibiotics

LostMyBaubles Sun 15-Feb-15 21:47:31

Sorry that should say too tonight.

bialystockandbloom Sun 15-Feb-15 21:51:06

Seriously please get her seen tonight. It's not dangerous as in life threatening right now, but a 3mo working hard to breathe may well need extra oxygen. It may also start to interfere with her feeding, and at this age she won't be able to go for ages without feeding. It also can lead to more serious things like pneumonia if not treated.

My dd was hospitalised twice for this, once at 6weeks then a year later at 13 months. She was in for a week both times. I initially thought I was panicking unnecessarily by getting her seen by out of hours doc, but they sent us straight to hospital.

MrsMot Sun 15-Feb-15 21:51:08

Please get her seen tonight. At 3 months they can go downhill vvv fast.

Sirzy Sun 15-Feb-15 21:52:24

I agree with others. At least phone 111 but with a 3 month old working hard to breath I would go straight to a and e

bialystockandbloom Sun 15-Feb-15 21:52:34

I hope the OP sees this.

IMurderedStampyLongnose Sun 15-Feb-15 21:54:08

I'm also echoing getting her seen tonight,this can get bad quickly,better to nip it in the bud.

nocoolnamesleft Sun 15-Feb-15 22:30:34

Agree tonight would be much better - they tend to be worse at night.

Butterfly13 Sun 15-Feb-15 23:16:09

Your baby needs to be seen TONIGHT!

AlpacaMyBags Sun 15-Feb-15 23:34:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsteddyruxpin Sun 15-Feb-15 23:41:19

My baby had this, sounds like bronciolitis and may need to be kept in overnight. Good luck

Madjackmcvitae Mon 16-Feb-15 15:13:36

Thanks for all your replies and sorry I didn't he back to you all sooner. Took her to drs and her chest is clear. They said it's possibly due to feeding, possibly a virus. Temp was normal. Worse at night as she is laid down so prop cot up and things like that. If no better in a week or worried to go back and check it's not turned into an infection. They didn't check oxygen levels and not concerned about her fast pulling in breathing. It's worse at night tho so difficult for them to assess I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now