DS has the pox, we've been in the house for two days and going a bit stir crazy. He's not scabbed over yet so I assume still contagious, but feeling fine in himself. We wouldn't go anywhere with loads of people but do you think the park would be ok? Or do I need to keep him in until he's better?
Thanks, this is my first experience of chicken pox (apart from when I had it as a child but I don't remember that!) and I hadn't realised how dangerous it could be. He's been out yesterday because we had to fetch DD from school but we waited outside the gates. Will keep him in then
Definitely not going out, thanks for all your replies. It must be so worrying for people with low immunity, etc because isn't chicken pox contagious before the spots appear? So he could have infected people before we knew he had it.
He's six. Been playing on the wii and doing jigsaws today.
DD got chicken pox when DS was a couple of weeks old. I was desperate to get out if the house. So we decided to go for a walk round the block - a route where you often met no one as quiet roads. We bumped into a mum from my antenatal classes with her toddler and newborn and I practically shouted at her to stay away. We stayed at home after that and DD learnt to watch TV for the first time. So park seems like bad idea but could you drive to a country park where you probably could keep away from people?
Feel your pain, ds is down with cp too and we spent whole week locked indoors, by day 4 l was close to jumping out of the window. Like others said it is very contagious but it also can be dangerous to your dc if he catches something on top of cp while you are out e.g. flu, d&v, even cold. Better safe than sorry and good luck!
One of her friends has chickenpox, it's going around at the moment. I noticed a small mark on DD's face this morning, which may or may not be a spot. We weren't going anywhere today so all good.
However. How long should we wait? The mark from this morning had faded by bedtime, so could just have been a small scratch. What if no more spots appear? Do we assume she doesn't have it? If the mark has gone by morning, I'd probably be convinced it wasn't a spot, but given that she's been in contact with others over the last 2 weeks (including the child who definitely does have it), where do we stand?
Do we just carry on as normal unless more spots come up? I know you can have very few, in fact DD1 had only 2 spots when she had it at 18 months - the "mother spot" which was massive, on her tummy, then one more on her chest.
I would rather be safe than sorry, but if there are no spots, what do we do? Half term will be rubbish if we stay in quarantine for no reason...