Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can you take a child out with chicken pox?

(18 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Sat 14-Feb-15 21:11:31

DS has the pox, we've been in the house for two days and going a bit stir crazy. He's not scabbed over yet so I assume still contagious, but feeling fine in himself. We wouldn't go anywhere with loads of people but do you think the park would be ok? Or do I need to keep him in until he's better?

GoogleyEyes Sat 14-Feb-15 21:15:24

Put on your flame proof suit, the best you can expect is a resounding NO!

OttiliaVonBCup Sat 14-Feb-15 21:18:35

No, it's not worth it.
It's really infectious and can have bad consequences for people whose immune system is compromised.

Do you have a garden to get him out?

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 14-Feb-15 21:25:02

Thanks, this is my first experience of chicken pox (apart from when I had it as a child but I don't remember that!) and I hadn't realised how dangerous it could be. He's been out yesterday because we had to fetch DD from school but we waited outside the gates. Will keep him in then smile

ChaosTrulyReigns Sat 14-Feb-15 21:25:12

Please don't. Chicken pox is lethal in several circumstances.

ChaosTrulyReigns Sat 14-Feb-15 21:26:41

How old is he? I'll bet MN can come up with some distracting suggestions to tide yiu over at home.

Patatas Sat 14-Feb-15 21:27:27

No sorry, best not to. You just don't know who you might come across who it could compromise.

My dh looks healthy, hasn't had cp and currently having treatment which leaves is immunity very low.

We went through this with ds last year, had to keep him indoors for 8 long days. It was tough for everyone. I used to go and wander around supermarkets in the evenings, just to get out grin.

Hope your ds scabs over soon and normal life can be resumed.

OttiliaVonBCup Sat 14-Feb-15 21:29:15

It's a pain in the arse but better safe than sorry.
It'll be over soon.

kormachameleon Sat 14-Feb-15 21:30:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 14-Feb-15 21:39:13

Definitely not going out, thanks for all your replies. It must be so worrying for people with low immunity, etc because isn't chicken pox contagious before the spots appear? So he could have infected people before we knew he had it. sad

He's six. Been playing on the wii and doing jigsaws today.

OttiliaVonBCup Sat 14-Feb-15 21:43:16

There's nothing you can do before you know he's contagious, so don't worry about it.

Chickenpox is a bugger.

Hope there's no bits missing the the jigsaws! grin

AliMonkey Sat 14-Feb-15 21:50:58

DD got chicken pox when DS was a couple of weeks old. I was desperate to get out if the house. So we decided to go for a walk round the block - a route where you often met no one as quiet roads. We bumped into a mum from my antenatal classes with her toddler and newborn and I practically shouted at her to stay away. We stayed at home after that and DD learnt to watch TV for the first time. So park seems like bad idea but could you drive to a country park where you probably could keep away from people?

eveylikesv Sat 14-Feb-15 21:55:29

Feel your pain, ds is down with cp too and we spent whole week locked indoors, by day 4 l was close to jumping out of the window. Like others said it is very contagious but it also can be dangerous to your dc if he catches something on top of cp while you are out e.g. flu, d&v, even cold. Better safe than sorry and good luck!

pookamoo Sat 14-Feb-15 21:59:28

I have a similar question re. DD who is 3.

One of her friends has chickenpox, it's going around at the moment. I noticed a small mark on DD's face this morning, which may or may not be a spot. We weren't going anywhere today so all good.

However. How long should we wait? The mark from this morning had faded by bedtime, so could just have been a small scratch. What if no more spots appear? Do we assume she doesn't have it? If the mark has gone by morning, I'd probably be convinced it wasn't a spot, but given that she's been in contact with others over the last 2 weeks (including the child who definitely does have it), where do we stand?

Do we just carry on as normal unless more spots come up? I know you can have very few, in fact DD1 had only 2 spots when she had it at 18 months - the "mother spot" which was massive, on her tummy, then one more on her chest.

I would rather be safe than sorry, but if there are no spots, what do we do? Half term will be rubbish if we stay in quarantine for no reason...

Patatas Sat 14-Feb-15 22:28:00

No sorry, best not to. You just don't know who you might come across who it could compromise.

My dh looks healthy, hasn't had cp and currently having treatment which leaves is immunity very low.

We went through this with ds last year, had to keep him indoors for 8 long days. It was tough for everyone. I used to go and wander around supermarkets in the evenings, just to get out grin.

Hope your ds scabs over soon and normal life can be resumed.

Patatas Sat 14-Feb-15 22:29:25

Oops sorry that posted again.

TheSkiingGardener Sat 14-Feb-15 22:31:09

We did. We went to the New Forest and stayed a long way away from anyone. I wouldn't go near other people with it.

Janethegirl Sat 14-Feb-15 22:34:55

Years ago I took my sc out to a swimming pool with rampant chicken pox and she had a great time, I had it at the same time but had not realised it. However the story wasn't too good!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: