Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

congested baby, no other symptoms, any experience out there?

(5 Posts)
ElleOhElle Tue 10-Feb-15 19:15:36

DS is 13 weeks, he was a bit poorly at birth with an infection but discharged after a few days on antibiotics. He seemed ok for about 3 weeks although always sounded a bit bunged up but never had a runny nose etc. About 4 weeks he developed a cough and then bronchiolitis. He was quite unwell for a few weeks until it went to his chest and then he had another dose of antibiotics. During that time we were using nasal spray/ drops and an inhaler to help with the congestion. He's much better now but still congested, you can't always hear it but it's especially obvious if he's been crying, you can hear the 'snot' clogging the back of his throat but still nothing comes out of his nose. He's now been prescribed antihistamines but not sure if they're making much of a difference.
Have tried humidifiers etc but nothing seems to be getting to the main cause.
Has anyone had experience of similar symptoms, any idea what it could be?? Thanks

Twistedheartache Tue 10-Feb-15 22:01:49

I haven't got a solution for you I'm afraid, but my 15 week old dd is the same.
Midwife who delivered her said we could expect mucus/fluid to take a while to clear because she arrived so suddenly so it didn't clear in birth canal. GP at 6 week check up said it can take 3 months plus to clear. It doesn't seem to bother her and she's had a cold so it's difficult to distinguish at the moment. I'm planning to take her back to gp at 4 months if it doesn't improve.
We also have to go to audiology for tests & scientist there said winter is awful for getting fluid to clear etc.
Fingers crossed he improves soon

ElleOhElle Wed 11-Feb-15 08:06:10

Thanks and hope your daughter improves too. Hopefully it's just a case of it clearing on ifs own. Dr wants to see him again in a few weeks so maybe he'll have some more suggestions then.

ElleOhElle Thu 12-Feb-15 21:27:20

joanna120387 Sat 14-Feb-15 20:15:53

You could try a nasal aspirator (in my experience, Nobu baby are the most effective ones) to get rid of the snots. Hope your DS will feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now