Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd7 has awful pain in stomach for 3 month now, worried sick.

(13 Posts)
Zazzabeans Tue 10-Feb-15 08:22:39

Started one lunch time on dec, she went pale and started shivering and then crying in pain, ended up in a&e thinking It was her appendix, apparently it was gastroenteritis, I wasn't convinced, it happened a further 3 times in the next fortnight, pain is always around her belly button, at first I thought it was around meal times but now it can be anytime.
It's like a cramp type pain and literally only last a few minutes. On a scale of 1-10,Dd,said its a3-4
Go said back in jan it was mesenteric adenitis, again I wasn't convinced and things seemed to be better by idle of january, she went approx 3 weeks with no pain.
However in the last few days it has gotten worse and yesterday she had 9 episodes, gp appointment last night said that Ds had to hand a urine sample in and go see her next week for possible refereal to paeditrician.
From 6pm last night dd has not had a wee, despite drinking the same.
I'm keeping her off school today to observe her and hopefully get the sample.
I'm really worried as to what it could be sad
Any ideas?

AlmaMartyr Tue 10-Feb-15 08:50:08

Do painkillers have any effect? DS is suffering from mesenteric adenitis at the moment. Apparently it tends to come in after a nasty infection (he's recovering from a lung infection) and painkillers sort the pain out, although we have to be on the ball with them. He's also weeing/pooing fine so that rules out other things.

From what you're saying, it doesn't sound like it and needs further investigation. When DS was diagnosed last week the GP told us that the next stage if we were still concerned would be A&E since they couldn't do more to help at the GP surgery. They had done a urine sample and ruled out UTI though.

Zazzabeans Tue 10-Feb-15 12:34:41

Pain was so bad this morning, I, took her to a&e, they said she has +1 leukocytes in urine. Sample has been sent off for analysis. Painkillers dont seem to be working.
Have been told to stop the ibuprofen as that causes upset tummy.just to give her paracetamol.

DeWee Tue 10-Feb-15 16:04:28

I spent a good amount of the first half of last term being sent to A&E by the GP to check dd2 (aged 11) for exactly what you described.
Eventually (after scans, blood tests and lots of sitting around in A&E) the GP said there was a tummy bug going round that others now had was lasting much much longer than any tummy bug had a right to.

She still has tummy pain on and off, and I'm going to request a follow up blood test, so they can see if anything is changing. But the GP thinks she just is very suspectable to this tummy bug that had lasted 3 months plus in other children.

He's a very thorough GP so I'm not particularly worried that he's missed something.

AlmaMartyr Tue 10-Feb-15 16:27:46

Hope she's feeling better and you get some answers soon Zazza. I have read that the mesenteric adenitis thing can hit them repeatedly if they're susceptible but that's anecdotal so no idea if it's true or not.

Your poor DD sad

Zazzabeans Tue 10-Feb-15 17:25:28

Shen has got better as the day has went on and is eating/drinking as normal.
Also been having regular paracetamol and she has been to toilet tmi but she had a huge poop earlier, part off me thinks it's her bowels.
I have health anxiety myself and always think the worst sad
Will keep diary for rest of the week and demand tests etc .

DesmondTututoo Wed 11-Feb-15 10:16:15

Sounds as though it could be constipation perhaps?

nocoolnamesleft Wed 11-Feb-15 11:25:19

Also wondering about constipation... which can hurt a lot, and tends to hurt in spasms. Does she go every day? What does it come out like? Does it hurt to poo?

Zazzabeans Fri 13-Feb-15 18:38:56

Urine sample all clear after lab tests.
Poor is normal colour,size,smell etc.
I also wonder if it is constipation.
She said it was a cramp like pain, I have ibs and that's what type of pain I get.

mais Fri 13-Feb-15 18:50:20

I've just got to the bottom of this after my dd had similar complaints since a UTI last October, we had blood tests & ultrasound & found nothing. I only figured out what the problem was about 3 weeks ago when she developed thrush in her mouth and also her knicker line. Once she started on treatment for thrush her stomach pain stopped & I now have a much much happier child. I believe it was as a result of 2 broad spectrum antibiotics for the UTI last October, she developed thrush throughout her system but it wasn't noticeable - her only symptoms were recurrent, spasming stomach pain and nausea. We also ended up in A&E got nowhere ended up going to a paediatrician privately. We were luckyin a way that she developed oral thrush otherwise we still might not know what was wrong.

Trazzletoes Fri 13-Feb-15 19:10:06

If it helps (and I hope it does), DS has had Cancer that started off in the abdomen. He had relAtively mild stomach aches but on a daily basis. Literally every single day. And he had loose stools. And the pain was near his ribs rather than by his gut. Yours sounds more like my DD when I obviously jumped to the conclusion of Cancer, but hers was sharp pain by her bladder. Because she's constipated and that apparently often makes kids withhold urine too so her bladder was ENORMOUS. Funnily enough it was painful.

Obviously you want to get to the bottom of it but, from my experience, if it was bad enough to be something sinister, it would have been noticed relatively fast just by abdominal exam.

Millionairerow Sat 14-Feb-15 14:30:52

UTI?

Zazzabeans Sat 14-Feb-15 18:41:33

Urine all clear.
I keep thinking if it was bad then it would have got progressively worse, not go for 3 weeks and then come back.
The pains have been there everyday since last Saturday but aren't there all day, comes and goes.
trazzle sorry to hear about your DS, hope he is ok now? How long did he have pain before diagnosed?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: