Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I be concerned about my toddlers curly toes?

(13 Posts)
MrsRabbitsBus Sun 08-Feb-15 22:05:14

DD (3yo) has always been either barefoot or has worn properly fitted shoes, yet her toes are all scrunched up. The GP said curly toes are nothing to worry about unless they are causing problems, but they look much more curly than pictures I see on the internet confused We have a family history of slightly wonky knees and feet in our family, so I don't want to ignore any problems. She is also overpronating. Can anyone shed any light, do I need to go back to the GP?

helensburgh Sun 08-Feb-15 22:32:53

My daughter is the same and we have been told same as you.

She is hypermobile as well, makes me wonder if any connectiom

Jaffacakesareyummy Sun 08-Feb-15 22:35:56

Same here. I requested a second opinion via the hospital and was told to leave alone unless it caused problems. At around 10 years old if there are issues they can break the toes and reset shock

Queenofknickers Sun 08-Feb-15 22:41:22

My DS had this and it was over-short ligaments behind the toes. His toes started to curl and cross each other. He had an operation when he was 8 to snip those and it was quite straightforward. Only worked on one foot but that's common.

forago Sun 08-Feb-15 22:42:18

as soon as I saw this post I can on to say my DS had this as a baby and toddler and he has hypermobility syndrome! when he was born his toes stuck out in different directions, it looked really weird. He toe walked all the time until very recently (he's 7) and he can bend all his fingers and thumbs right back.

he has been having physio for the toe walking and his toes do seem to have straightened out as he's got older and not toe walking all the time. His brother who is 4 has the same thing I think and does a really weird thing where he curls all his toes right over an walks on them bent forward like a ballet dancer but even more so, so he walks on the upper surface of his toes.

none of this seems to cause them any issues.

Pixa Sun 08-Feb-15 22:43:52

I had this! I had cotton wool put between my toes daily to help with the direction of growth! They still have a slight curl now, but they are much better!

MrsRabbitsBus Mon 09-Feb-15 10:22:28

Thanks everyone. DD is quite bendy generally and has crunchy joints (shoulders, wrists), so maybe she is slightly hypermobile. She walks normally though.
Breaking the toes sounds horrific sad

Jaffacakesareyummy Mon 09-Feb-15 10:41:01

Queenofknickers - was that under the nhs?

Queenofknickers Mon 09-Feb-15 14:29:30

No it was private but in an NHS hospital. But GP would have referred us anyway, we would just have waited longer. Just to emphasise there was no breaking of bones just snipping of tissue under GA.

MrsRabbitsBus Mon 09-Feb-15 15:31:37

Good to know, Queenofknickers. How did curly toes affect your DS? And what can they do for the foot that hasn't worked?

Jaffacakesareyummy Mon 09-Feb-15 22:20:08

www.gosh.nhs.uk/medical-information/search-for-medical-conditions/congenital-curly-toes/congenital-curly-toes-information/

I think I'm going to go back to my Gp! Second opinion needed!

Queenofknickers Tue 10-Feb-15 22:36:55

It mainly affected them as they play a lot of sport and rugby boots etc were uncomfortable with toes crossing. Plus as soon as nails grew a tiny bit they dug in and hurt. I'm not currently sure what to do about the foot it didn't work on - they said at the time it either works or not so doubt they'd try again.

Cutedishes Wed 31-Aug-16 20:17:07

Not to worry! My 2 children both were born with Curly Toes ( just like Dad's). Not only are they both star multi-sport athletes, but soccer(the ultimate foot sport) is their best sport! (Dad was also a terrific athlete with his curly toes ). No problems at all. I say their curly toes hv served them well! If your child experiences foot/toe pain and/ or she is feeling self-conscience of how they look when she is older, I would look into interventions. Otherwise, don't fix what ain't broke!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now