Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nappy rash not getting better

(22 Posts)
Allisgood1 Sun 08-Feb-15 09:56:18

DS (5mo) has a really bad nappy rash that is restricted to just his bum (not spread to the cheeks or above). Friday it was bleeding. Today it's not bleeding but very angry still. I've been putting Metanium on at every poo change.

Allisgood1 Sun 08-Feb-15 09:57:02

Sorry stupid app wouldn't let me type anymore...

Anyway, every poo change I put on Metanium and give him air time. What more can I do?

Frusso Sun 08-Feb-15 09:58:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Allisgood1 Sun 08-Feb-15 10:06:44

How would I know? It's a strip of very red angry rash in his bum?

MrsBungle Sun 08-Feb-15 10:08:55

You could ask your gp for timodene. That's the only cream that made my little ones rash better.

FarelyKnuts Sun 08-Feb-15 10:16:10

Try egg white. The albumen helps with healing and acts as a barrier. Worked every time for DD

PrincessOfChina Sun 08-Feb-15 10:21:09

I've been told by my own GP and two GP friends that persistent nappy rash is almost always thrush.

Certainly in DD's case Canestan cleared her rash in a day or less.

sleepybuthappy Sun 08-Feb-15 10:21:15

Is it the yellow metanium? DS had awful nappy rash and it was the only thing that helped. May also need antibiotics if the skin has split - you should probably see the GP.

bigbuttons Sun 08-Feb-15 10:24:00

I suggest thrush too

Allisgood1 Sun 08-Feb-15 10:38:58

Yes, it's the yellow Metanium.

I have some canestan so have applied that. Will see if it does the trick. If not, GP.

egg white is an interesting one. How would I apply it since it's so goopy?

Frusso Sun 08-Feb-15 10:43:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PinkParsnips Sun 08-Feb-15 10:43:56

DD had this and Timodine cream from the doctors worked wonders.
It did keep coming back though and we eventually worked out it was the brand of nappies we were using that caused it. Switched brands and never had it since.

FarelyKnuts Sun 08-Feb-15 17:48:26

The egg white you whip up first and then just smear it on with your fingers.

dextersmum Mon 09-Feb-15 05:28:49

I swear by Burts Bee diaper cream

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Feb-15 05:46:45

Stop using Metanium! My babies both reacted badly to it, but were great on Sudocreme or Bepanthen.

Try different nappies too - maybe paper/bamboo ones (Nature Baby, Moltex or Bambo) rather than gel filled ones.

Lots of lots of bare bum time.

Binxboosandme Mon 09-Feb-15 06:04:13

I second egg white! When it dries it forms a barrier layer on the skin. It worked a treat for my dd when nothing else did.

Nolim Mon 09-Feb-15 06:07:40

Go to the gp. They can prescribe something.

Roonerspism Mon 09-Feb-15 06:28:30

What nappies are you using? Two of mine reacted horribly to Pampers and Boots. Even the Sainsburies nappies have some weird chemical in them now.

Their nappy rash was bright red and raw for weeks.
Currently using Naty nappies - rash all gone.

Gasosaurus Mon 09-Feb-15 06:36:55

Ask the doctor for Timodine. Works very quickly.

Allisgood1 Mon 09-Feb-15 11:08:09

I'm using pampers baby dry. Always have. However, I did a MN trial on active fit and he's been wearing the remaining ones over the last few days. That could be my problem.

The bum is now dark pink as opposed to red with the canestan on. Should it be better than that after 24 hours? Should I be seeing the GP?

PestoSnowissimos Mon 09-Feb-15 11:11:04

My health visitor recommended painting egg white on the nappy rash & leaving the nappy off. It works!

Roonerspism Mon 09-Feb-15 14:05:16

I would honestly try different nappies today and give it 24 hours.

My child looked like her bottom had been burnt it was that bad. I frigging hate pampers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: