Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2 yr old, waking up with head pain, sweaty head, but cool temperature.

(4 Posts)
thearty1 Sun 08-Feb-15 00:18:27

For almost a week My 22 month old has been waking up during the nights crying out in pain, arching his neck and putting his hands on the back of his head, behind his ears. He has been waking up with a slightly damp forehead and hair, but with a fairly low temperature of between 35.5 and 36.5.

Typically he goes to bed at 8pm, wakes up screaming at about midnight. He settles back to sleep after about half an hour of being cuddled, but then he will wake up crying approximately every 2 - 3 hours from then on until morning.

He is fine all day, cheerful, eating and behaving normally etc. He does have one daytime nap (usually lasting 1.5 hours) and he has been waking in the same way; slightly damp head, cool and crying, but he is fine shortly afterwards.

I think all his teeth are through now. He has suffered from a few ear infections, but the symptoms were very different from what we are going through now.

Has anyone else experienced same symptoms? Should I go to the GP? Should I try a craniologist?

OhMittens Sun 08-Feb-15 00:29:16

Very simple. GP asap. Why would you not?

thearty1 Sun 08-Feb-15 01:46:53

Yes, I will book an apt on Monday.

We initially wondered if it was just something that might only last a couple of nights, but it now seems to be ongoing. He is fine during the daytime; happy, lively, eats well and chats and has a nice 37 deg temp when he's awake.

Also, the last couple of times I've taken him to our GP (for other ailments/concerns) I've been made to feel like a time waster... and when I take my DS next week he will appear fine in the surgery, as he shows no symptoms at all when awake during the day.

One of the reasons I'm on here is to try and see if others of a similar age have suffered the same symptoms and what were the possible causes, what did their GPs advise, etc, so that I might be able to use some of that information to ask or discuss further with my GP.

OhMittens Sun 08-Feb-15 10:08:23

It's good to wait and see definitely, but after this amount of time I would definitely go. Can you see a different GP if you feel this one is unsympathetic?

I haven't heard of this before and I don't know how helpful it would be even if someone said they had seen the same as it still might be for a different reason. Someone else might have a child waking from bad dreams/night terrors at this age, but you feel that your DS is in pain, so definitely push to have that taken seriously.

Hope your LO is OK.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: