Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

erythromycin - so thick usually?

(3 Posts)
Millionairerow Thu 05-Feb-15 08:49:42

DD3 who is 2.5 on erthryomycin for unknown infection (high temp). We've ruled out UTI and Dr said to use erthromycin (she was on penicillin last week which seemed to get rid of an ear infection). It is really thick and gloopy and last night she came into our bed and threw up horrible biley stuff everywhere and I was wondering if it was the medication? I'm sure when I've had it in the past, its been quite watery. I'm concerned its not been diluted down enough as it literally has lumps of powder in (which I shake obviously). Anyone know - or any pharmacists out there? Should I take it back to the pharmacy to check? DD3 has no known allergies.

DropYourSword Thu 05-Feb-15 08:52:25

Lumps of powder in it? I would definitely take it back to the pharmacy and ask, this doesn't sound right!

Seeline Thu 05-Feb-15 09:12:28

Lumps of powder sound as though it hasn't been mixed properly. When I was little I had so many chest infections that the GP let my mum have a bottle of ABs in advance so that there was always some available. She was always given it in powder form (so that it lasted) and had to mix it up with water - it took so much shaking to make sure it was properly mixed. From memory erythromycin is quite gloopy, but no harm checking with the pharmacist.
ABs can make you fell quite sick, and I have actually been sick taking them. Were the instructions to take them after eating or with food, because if so, I would really recommend you do so as an empty stomach doesn't help. Hope she is on the mend soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now