Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox for the second time

(5 Posts)
Jaffakake Sat 31-Jan-15 18:17:09

We were sure ds had cp when he was 10 months old, it was really mild & we know we got away with it lightly.

He's 3.5 now & cp has been going round his room at nursery. He's been on fine form all day as he has been all week, until about an hour ago & now won't touch his tea. I've been on 'spot watch' & noticed a few yesterday, but he gets the odd one from time to time & they were in an area where he gets eczema & tends to scratch. Anyway, he now appears to have developed more on his tummy during the day. He's had a few loose motions today and has mentioned a headache twice, but otherwise has been his usual bouncy self.

Is it likely he's just going to get another mild version cos he has a low level of immunity already, or does it not work like that?

What are the symptoms I can expect? Do they get d&v as part of it?

Is it normal to stay at home for 5 days?

Also, I'm 31 weeks pregnant, but gave had cp as a child. Is there anything for me to be worried about?

AuntieStella Sat 31-Jan-15 20:23:12

Chicken pox spots are usually quite easy to identify as they look like little blisters.

If that's what the rash looks like, and chicken pox is going round, then yes it sounds as if DS has got it again (it's uncommon but far from unheard of to get it twice).

DS should be kept away from other people until all spots have crusted over (usually around 5-7 days).

You should be fine, as most people form enduring immunity from having the disease. But in the off-chance that you are not immune, if you think you are coming down with something in the next 3 weeks, ring your MW for advice.

Jaffakake Sat 31-Jan-15 20:40:15

Cheers.

InMySpareTime Sat 31-Jan-15 20:45:40

I had CP twice as a child, DS had it twice too (first time was when I was 8mo PG with DD). All was fine, if anecdotal evidence will set your mind at ease.

bexster5 Sat 31-Jan-15 20:48:17

I had heard that you don't always get immunity if you have cp before you're one. Sorry. So DS could very well have cp again. I hope it's not too bad for him and he gets well soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: