Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

14 year old being sick once a week

(20 Posts)
binspin Wed 28-Jan-15 08:05:57

My dd (14) is waking up through the night once a week being sick.
At first I thought it was a bug as there was stuff going round but she's carried on. She'll be fine most of the week and then is ill.
When she is sick it's quite alot and she's not always making it to the bathroom.
Any ideas?

andsmile Wed 28-Jan-15 09:44:15

Is it the same night? Perhaps a weekend night? Could she be drinking or anything else? Sorry to be casting aspersions just with the intermittent nature of it.

I cant think of an illness other than an eating disorder or pregnancy that may cause one to be sick like this. Sorry not much help. I hope you get to the cause of it. it must be worrying for you.

Oh hang on, have you monitored her food intake to see if she has developed an intolerance to a type of food?

Actually could it be anxiety related to something social or school? Is she a sensitive soul..my DS is onyl 9 and is sick quite easily when upset.

What has she said she thinks it is?
How long has it being going on for?

binspin Wed 28-Jan-15 11:10:08

Not the same night each night.

I completely understand why you're asking the questions but I really don't think alcohol or pregnancy. I also don't think eating disorder but could be wrong. I suppose it could be anxiety related although she seems fine apart from when she is being sick.

Food intolerance I have thought about and will start a diary just in case their is a pattern.

She says that she has no ideas on what it could be, she just wakes up being sick.

Before Christmas we all had a d and v bug but got over it. She has been sick once a week since then but is fine the rest of the week apart from the day after when she's obviously feeling quit grotty from lack of sleep etc.

andsmile Wed 28-Jan-15 11:23:46

Try and think what she has eaten that day and day before the last few instances. I would go to the GP armed with that information.

I have a toddler DD - she developed a lactose intolerance after being poorly and needed to be weened slowly back onto regular dairy products. Maybe the D&V has upset her gut bacteria and it is being irritated by something that she eats.

If she doesnt have any other signs of anxiety or seems troubles then it is unlikely it is that. I hope you are able to work it out.

thanks

binspin Wed 28-Jan-15 11:32:18

Thankyou andsmile. You've been really helpful.

I can remember what she had yesterday and the day before but no idea the other times.

My youngest was intolerant to cows milk produce as a toddler so I don't know why I hadn't thought of it! I assumed it was school and bugs but no one else is getting it at home and school says that it seems to have stopped doing the rounds at school.

We've just sat down and worked out yesterdays food, she certainly has an appetite. She's so tiny that she can't afford to be bringing it up.

andsmile Wed 28-Jan-15 11:39:19

If you are concerned about her size and growth - the wider picture then definately get her checked for absorption/allergies

I have an appointment to get my DS checked as I am concerned about ongoing issue - he seems to struggle to go to the toilet but it then is explosive. He also has not grown much this past year - but that could just be he is due a growth spurt soon. He often feels nausea, which I think sometimes he misinterprets and is actually hungry. I suspect he has childhood IBS. he has always such a senetive gag reflex too.

Is there anything in her room that could make her sick, like a smell or anything?

sliceofsoup Wed 28-Jan-15 11:42:06

I had a D&V bug over xmas and now if I eat cheese I get really terrible cramps and diarrhea. If I drink a glass of milk I get pain in my back and looser stools but not as bad as with cheese. So I am self imposed dairy free for a while, and then I will slowly reintroduce. So I would guess that the bug has upset her system and she is reacting to something in her diet.

I hope you get to the bottom of it. It sounds horrible.

binspin Wed 28-Jan-15 11:54:14

I'm not worried about her size, she's very much like me in that respect, she's always been tiny but healthy.

She said that there is nothing in her room making her feel sick and I can't think of anything in there that could be.

I've just worked out that the stomach bug that we all had was six weeks ago so maybe I should phone the GP.

binspin Wed 28-Jan-15 12:04:11

Thanks Sliceofsoup, sorry I didn't see your message just now. How awful for you!

I've made an appointment for two weeks time with the GP.

SaidFlorence Wed 28-Jan-15 12:08:01

My son suffered from abdominal cyclical migraines for a few years when he was around 5 years old. He was sick around once a week, but not unwell with it.
Might be worth looking into. He didn't have any treatment, and seemed to grow out of it.

AMumInScotland Wed 28-Jan-15 12:19:29

My two thoughts are - does the school have a 'weekly' menu, where there is something she eats that day in particular? and - does she have a particular class/teacher next day? I had stomach aches regularly for a while on Thursday night/Friday morning due to anxiety (about PE in my case) though I wasn't able to actually recongnise why I felt so bad. Maybe get her to talk through what she has the following day and see if anything stands out?

binspin Wed 28-Jan-15 12:23:18

I wondered about a pattern in the timetable Amuminscotland but it's not the same day each week.
She usually has packed lunches although does buy from the tuck shop at break times too.

Wolfbasher Wed 28-Jan-15 12:28:10

My 3yo had similar vomiting episodes. This was the first sign of his coeliac disease tho it took more than a year to diagnose. The vomiting went on for about 3 months then stopped but after that other symptoms gradually developed. I have met other parents of coeliacs who had a similar experience.

BarbarianMum Wed 28-Jan-15 14:45:32

I had similar (with violent diarrhea also) - first once a month, then twice, then once a week. In my case it turned out to be coeliacs/crohns disease. Diagnosis took a year partly cause of intermittent nature of episodes (I didn't go to the doctors for first few months) but I was really poorly by the end of it. Gluten was obviously the trigger/cause in my case but what was strange was although I ate it every day I was (initially) only sick on occasion.

I think you should take her to the GP. Just to get on their radar incase it doesn't go away.

binspin Wed 28-Jan-15 16:42:49

Thanks both. Appointment made with GP.
She's got no diarrhea or other symptoms.

PJ67 Thu 29-Jan-15 00:11:15

Hi. My son has cyclical vomitting syndrome which is periodic vomitting. It tends to happen at the same time (early morning) and he will be sick for a couple of hours before he feels better. Might be worth asking about this if it continues.

binspin Thu 29-Jan-15 10:47:02

Thanks PJ, interesting! As usual she's fine today but has to stay off of school for 48 hours.

PJ67 Thu 29-Jan-15 23:40:14

If it's cyclical vomitting she would be fine to go straight back to school as it's not an infectious thing. Hopefully it will just be a few bugs that she has caught at the back of one another and it will end soon.

binspin Sat 31-Jan-15 12:55:35

Hope so!
Until we know what it is school insist on 48 hours off of school each time sadly.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 31-Jan-15 20:57:49

Probiotics, vitamin A (carrot juice) and fish oils to help heal her gut after her bug. Could be temporary intolerance. (We have lots of food issues and this happens to us sometimes)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: