Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

GP won't prescribe desmomelts - should I fight for it?

(4 Posts)
297 Tue 27-Jan-15 22:52:01

Dd (8) has never been dry at night - we've been trailing around various appointments for it for nearly 18 months, getting lots of 'advice' and 'monitoring' but no change. Finally I've insisted that she try desmopressin as she has a trip coming up. Some days it works brilliantly, but occassionally it seems like it doesn't 'get through' - this seems to be the case if we don't crush up the tablets, and sometimes also if she's eaten later than normal, as if taking them on a full stomach means they don't get absorbed maybe?

I've asked whether the GP will give her the desmomelts, which I've read on other threads can be absorbed more effectively. But apparently the melts are not on the list of standard medications and would have to be approved by the Board - I'm not sure exactly what that means!

So a few questions for folks out there with experience of this stuff:

Can they refuse to give them? It seems like the melts are very commonly used.

And, if they do refuse, are they more effective in your experience, and should I fight to try to get them? Part of my thinking is that the melts would be easier for dd to manage if she's away - at the mo we are having to crush up the tablets and take them in a spoon of jam or something, which isn't the most practical. They don't work if she just swallows them.

Thanks very much for any advice! flowers

297 Wed 28-Jan-15 22:31:01

Bump! Anyone?

Rivercam Wed 28-Jan-15 22:36:26

www.eric.org.uk

This organisation may be able to give you advice.

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 01-Feb-15 19:16:03

We had a referral to the enuresis clinic first and they prescribed them.

To be honest, they were of very little use. They gave DD a little confidence in sleepover situations, but that was all. When using them at home, they didn't make much of a difference. We continued going to the clinic with the star charts that they'd asked for. They were the desmomelt variety of desmopressin.

They gave lots of advice...
No drinks after 6pm (tough for a 12 year old who didn't go to bed til 9 then)
No dark drinks.
No acidic drinks.
No milk.

Sill no difference. So we stuck with the pyjama pants and mattress protectors. And waited it out.

She was finally reliably dry at 13. (Wet beds at the 'wrong' time of the month were a horror that she particularly hated, poor thing so I'm glad that we are past that now).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: