Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Probiotics for children. What kind, what dosage?

(7 Posts)
Fullsteamahead Mon 26-Jan-15 13:49:29

I'm trying to find out what the best recommended daily dose of probiotics for children is and which brands are best on the market.

Any advice and recommendations very welcome.

P.S. Children are 4 and 10.

topaszopal Mon 26-Jan-15 22:20:41

I use BioCare (www.biocare.co.uk). They have quite a selection for kids so I rang up their technical support and explained why I wanted them and let them recommend a product for me. It's mail order and arrives the day after you place the order by 1st class post. Service is great. My child is 4.

Teanbiscuitsallround Mon 26-Jan-15 22:23:29

I use optibac and if you google it, they are a company selling all kinds of probiotics for both adults and children. Would really recommend them as I use the one for daily immunity and my two children. ( 6mths and 4 years ) have the sachets specifically for pregnant women, babies and children. Really hope that helps.

Jellykat Mon 26-Jan-15 22:33:12

I work in a Healthfood shop, and this is the most popular childrens probiotic we stock.
www.viridian-nutrition.com/Shop/Childrens-Synbiotic-Powder-P528.aspx#
Viridian are one of the best companies for supplements, plus the above contains Prebiotics, which encourage the body to produce it's own 'good bacteria', as opposed to just taking them orally.

VilootShesCute Mon 26-Jan-15 22:40:02

Biocare very good

Fullsteamahead Tue 27-Jan-15 22:47:15

What I don't understand is why the children's probiotics generally have the strength of no more than 2 billion?

I've read online that optimum strength for adults is 20 billion a day and some recommend as high as 50 billion. It does, therefore, make me wonder whether 2 billion is enough for a child? Any advice or ideas?

topaszopal Thu 29-Jan-15 06:04:11

Suggest talking to BioCare technical services as they develop products for kids and adults at 2 different potencies so they should be able to explain why they do this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: