Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Constipated toddler - read milk can exacerbate it, but how much is too much?

(11 Posts)
Nancery Sat 24-Jan-15 23:38:28

DS is two and a half and suffers from awful constipation from time to time. Basically, he eats reasonably well but I can't get him to drink much. However, I've just read that milk can also cause it - he has 200ml before he sleeps and asks for his bottle when he wakes up. If he wakes in the night he might have some too (it gets him back to sleep immediately, it's something I've always done and he's starting to grow out of it.) He doesn't drink any more in the day or at any other times. Is this a lot?

Nancery Sat 24-Jan-15 23:39:16

Ps am booked to see GP but can't get an apt till next week! Hence, my googling now

BMO Sat 24-Jan-15 23:40:06

I think the recommendation is 12oz a day between 12-24 months, including cheese, yoghurt etc. About 350ml.

Nancery Sat 24-Jan-15 23:44:11

What does that translate to in ml's? And does that mean even cheese etc can trigger it too?

Nancery Sat 24-Jan-15 23:44:40

Shit, just re read your post - sorry! (Tired!)

pudseypie Sun 25-Jan-15 17:22:49

Try formula rather than cows milk. My ds seems better on formula. I don't think milk is really bad for constipation - bananas, weetabix, lots of rice & bread are worse. Diet with lots of fluid, veg and fruit really helps. My ds has hirschsprungs disease so know a bit about constipation! Good luck at doctors.

Nancery Sat 31-Jan-15 22:08:13

Thank you!

hugoagogo Sat 31-Jan-15 22:13:19

Milk doesn't cause constipation, but not enough fluid can, so I would not restrict his milk. Does he have plenty of other drinks during the day?

Nancery Sun 01-Feb-15 12:24:28

It says on a few sites that milk can cause it, I was surprised at that myself.
He doesn't drink enough, no. We have tried all manner of things but, generally, he doesn't drink much unless, for example, it's really hot weather. And there isn't really a way we can get him to either (not that I can think of anyway!)
GP apt tomorrow

SoMuchForSubtlety Sun 01-Feb-15 12:26:10

The iron that some formula is fortified with can cause constipation, perhaps that's what they meant?

Rjae Mon 02-Feb-15 11:04:07

Milk is in no way constipating but not enough fluid does. Try different flavoured drinks. DS loves orange and hates strawberry. I know the ideal is water but very dilute squash is better than nothing. You could try very juicy fruits like oranges, melon etc but I doubt whether that will be enough.

When you say constipation I'm assuming you mean hard stools which are uncomfortable to pass? If they are soft and easy to pass it may just be that your DS doesn't need to go daily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: