Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

cradle cap

(11 Posts)
Hopeful83 Fri 23-Jan-15 23:07:31

My 10 week old has quite bad cradle cap over quite a large area. I tried olive oil but it made her head red. I'm now using boots cream but it's not shifting it. Apart from it looking unsightly it's got an unpleasant smell to it. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it? Thanks

DeanKoontz Fri 23-Jan-15 23:08:50

Johnsons baby oil. Apply about twice a day and you should see it going in about 2 days.

sparkle101 Sat 24-Jan-15 08:20:44

You could go to the doctors and see if they'd prescribe capasal. Really good shampoo (smells amazing) cleared Ds up very quickly.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sat 24-Jan-15 08:23:42

I found with baby oil that it came back quickly if I didn't keep up the applications and Dd always looked like a grease ball. I use Dentinox shampoo now.

Tealady1983 Sat 24-Jan-15 08:28:12

Wash and dry (low heat obv) twice aday and brush lots throughout the du as it stimulates the scalp

HHH3 Sat 24-Jan-15 08:56:58

I used coconut oil and a nit comb. Did it over 2 baths as his head was looking red (although it didn't bother him at all). Worked brilliantly and has never come back smile

TellmetogetonwithmyWork Sat 24-Jan-15 09:58:00

None of the above worked for ds1. He wore a hat. After a few weeks it was all hard and it just lifted off. Though he still has a bit aged 5....

Hopeful83 Mon 26-Jan-15 13:19:23

Thanks everyone I'll try it all and hope something works!

laurenfalvey Mon 26-Jan-15 17:59:51

My health visitor suggested vaseline, I cover babies head in it and wash it off a few hours later and the majority brushes out!

grove10 Thu 29-Jan-15 10:50:44

We've had this problem also for months and it also caused dermititis on the face. Have tried almost everything from Almond Oil, Dentinox and more recently Calpasal shampoo. DS now 7 months and over time it's gradually improved on its own but feel it's more down to time than anything else. Sorry can't help more.

PixieBaby Sun 01-Feb-15 15:26:34

Dentinox shampoo worked for my DD. but I think it's also just time...

All the health visitors say olive oil, but my GP said you need to not leave it on for too long as the cradle cap is like a yeast infection and the oil 'feeds it'. Don't know if that is true, but was an interesting point!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: