Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sugar in urine?

(18 Posts)
FannyFifer Fri 23-Jan-15 18:25:56

Hi, I had a missed call from Doctors surgery, they left message that I needed to contact them as my 4 year old had sugar in her urine ( had handed sample in yesterday) obviously the surgery is now shut till Monday.

Does this def mean diabetes do you think, any advice about what will happen at doctors, I need to ring first thing Monday.

Thanks, I'm stressed as have to wait the weekend now before I can find out more.

tazzle22 Fri 23-Jan-15 18:39:48

Sounds like it might be diabetes but if it was a lot of sugar and serious then I would have thought message would have said it was urgent to go to hospital. If your dd is generally looking and feeling well then she will be ok till Monday. If she begins to feel unwell then of course get her straight to out of hours or hospital.

Try not to worry too much ..... faaaaaar easier said than done ... hope you get the answers you need at GP Monday X

tazzle22 Fri 23-Jan-15 18:42:27

As GP she might have blood test to see better what her blood sugar level is... This gives a sort of average for last three months and more accurate than urine.

Kundry Fri 23-Jan-15 18:43:47

Do not leave this til Monday!!!!

There should not be any sugar in a 4 year old's urine - it is likely that this is diabetes and further tests need doing soon.

If you leave it til Monday and it is new diabetes she may be very very ill.

Please go to A+E now and get her tested properly.

headinhands Fri 23-Jan-15 18:43:50

My dd once had glucose in her urine sample so the dr ordered a blood test which was negative for diabetes. Sometimes people do leak glucose back into their bladder so it's not definitely diabetes until a blood count confirms it.

Kundry Fri 23-Jan-15 18:46:17

The 3 month test is not for diagnosing Type 1 diabetes - with Type 1, one day you just suddenly stop producing insulin and without it can rapidly become v ill.

The 3 month test is for monitoring people who know they have diabetes or diagnosing Type 2 which is a completely different illness.

Don't wait over the weekend - get an answer tonight.

headinhands Fri 23-Jan-15 18:50:03

What were the circus surrounding you taking in a sample? My dd said her bits were sore and the surgery asked me to bring a sample to the appt. Because she was otherwise well, not tired, unwell, thirsty etc the GP just scheduled a routine blood test which was negative. I think if dd had been clearly poorly they would have probably sent us off to hospital maybe?

headinhands Fri 23-Jan-15 18:53:28

Nextchapterabouttostart Fri 23-Jan-15 19:02:10

I would ring 111 to book an out of hours appointment - the OOH GP should be able to access her notes or retest her urine. If sugar again she will be/should be sent round to A&E.

It could be nothing - sugary drink etc but if it is diabetes it should not be left till Monday.

FannyFifer Fri 23-Jan-15 19:03:22

She had a urine infection back in November which urinalysis also showed Glucose along with no other symptoms whatsoever since then.

She currently has an ear infection, so was at Dr yesterday and they asked me to get her to do a urine specimen & hand in just to double check.

Not any other obvious diabetes symptoms.

FannyFifer Fri 23-Jan-15 19:03:45

Thanks for replies.

headinhands Fri 23-Jan-15 19:10:07

She may well be a glucose leaker then. Hard not to worry though.

tazzle22 Fri 23-Jan-15 20:31:28

Sorry. .. meant say rather they would do glucose tolerance test... test fasting blood sugar. Much more accurate. Was distracted sorry.

FannyFifer Mon 26-Jan-15 15:43:36

A small update. I spoke to GP this morning who said that it was a v small trace of glucose in sample, have made appointment for fasting blood sugar check tomorrow morning, but Dr doesn't seem overly concerned as no other symptoms of diabetes.
Just want to see what the story is now.

FannyFifer Wed 28-Jan-15 13:33:21

Blood test totally normal.

headinhands Thu 29-Jan-15 16:45:19

Oh good smile. My dd had a shed load of glucose in her urine but the blood test ruled out diabetes. When she is unwell she just seems to have glucosey wee which makes her itchy

headinhands Thu 29-Jan-15 16:46:17

My sister was diagnosed with diabetes at 5 so I assumed it was diabetes even though she had no symptoms.

FannyFifer Thu 29-Jan-15 18:54:04

Thinking must be similar as the Glucose both times has been when she was unwell, weird one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now