Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hemangioma

(5 Posts)
jaykay34 Thu 22-Jan-15 08:13:26

Hi

My baby son has a strawberry birthmark or strawberry on his right cheek. To be honest, it's not very big at the moment - around 5mm at the widest point and it is in the shape of a heart. It's only very slightly raised. It is very red so is noticeable.

It first went red when he was about 3 weeks old and was pin prick size. I thought it was a scratch at first. It started to grow slowly so I took him to the doctor and she said it was a Hemangioma, not to worry because it was small and didn't impair his vision or speech, and it would go eventually.

I know things could be worse and he's in good health, he's happy and is beautiful so I shouldn't complain, but I am worrying so much about it - perhaps because it's on his face and I'm worried of negative remarks as he gets older, and I'm worried about the size it will grow to.

I just want to hear other people's experiences of Hemangioma and if thy really do go, and when do they stop growing.

Sorry if I come across as shallow, I'm just worried about my son and any advice would be appreciated.

Baddz Thu 22-Jan-15 11:22:32

By the time he is 5 it will be gone.
My son had one on his chest - quite large....as did my nephew.
It's now just a pale mark.
You aren't shallow, you are just concerned.
X

scaryg Thu 22-Jan-15 12:01:24

Don't worry, it'll change as he grows, please believe the doctor when they say it'll fad with time.

My DD had one right on the top of her head when she was born. It was slightly bigger than the width of a pound coin and about twice as high, bright red and quite sensitive. 3 years later, its now nearly flush with her scalp, a lot paler in colour and covered in hair.

Teladi Thu 22-Jan-15 12:26:11

My DD has one on her chest, it stayed the same size as she grew (so effectively appeared smaller as she got bigger) and has got paler. It is almost unnoticeable now, she is three.

jaykay34 Thu 22-Jan-15 15:41:45

Thanks for your replies, it really helps to hear from people who have experience of them smile .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: