Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

The dreaded chicken pox!

(6 Posts)
Daffyduckaroo Sun 18-Jan-15 23:11:23

Hi All,

So the dreaded chicken pox has descended upon us and as much as I am fine with it (what else can I do!?!) I have a concern about my DS who seems to be in the waiting room.....
My DD got the rash on the thurs and now the rashes have started to dry out. We were all on holiday last week, so both DCs have had same exposure. No sign of any chicken pox yet on my DS.
The question is do I send him to pre school, or wait it out? it may happen in 14 days, or may not happen at all. I'm very confused, as of course do not want to put other kids at his school at risk, but also don't want him off for so long without any sign of CP!
Please help, would really appreciate some advice!

dementedpixie Mon 19-Jan-15 09:34:52

I would send him until he shows signs of having it too. The incubation period can be up to 3 weeks so no point stopping everything for that length of time. It was 15 days between dd having it and ds getting it.

Daffyduckaroo Mon 19-Jan-15 20:55:31

Thanks dementedpixie. Wow, 3 weeks is a long time to wait isn't it? I called the school up this morning to see if they had any hard and fast rules on the issue, and they said to wait a couple of more days, until its been a week since DD got first rashes. 15 days, 3 weeks or 1 week, its all just a matter of waiting for the inevitable. I'm particularly nervous as I've read that the longer the sibling has exposure the worse it gets, and my poor DS has eczema, which apparently makes it much worse. I'm dreading it, as he is not the most patient of 3 year olds!!! :-( I guess I'll go and crawl back into my hideout.....and wait!

LizzieMint Mon 19-Jan-15 20:58:42

There's not much point stopping doing things until/unless you know he's actually infected. And you never know, he may miss it! My eldest DD has never caught CP despite the other two getting it and being in very close proximity to them.
And if he does catch it, at least you will have got it all over and done with. Good luck!

Daffyduckaroo Tue 20-Jan-15 02:06:32

Thanks Lizziemint, yep agree with you. I hope this month passes quickly :-(

ehospital Tue 20-Jan-15 17:30:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: