Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flaky toenails

(6 Posts)
HoggleHoggle Tue 13-Jan-15 06:57:22

My ds has very flaky toenails. They often crack and rip off, sometimes halfway down the nail. Luckily it doesn't seem to cause him pain but I'm worried that it could get worse in the future.

It's been like this since birth so I don't think it could be a deficiency, or perhaps I'm wrong? I'm lucky that at the moment he eats a very good, balanced diet.

His second and third toes on each foot also curve over so it makes it difficult to cut them (although I obviously do).

Any advice in anything I can do to help with this would be great, thanks.

Nolim Tue 13-Jan-15 07:03:10

I would love to hear some advice. Same problem here.

MillieMoodle Tue 13-Jan-15 07:07:52

Same problem here too, so eagerly await someone in the know telling us it's all fine!

RipplesOnTheEventHorizon Tue 13-Jan-15 07:26:06

DD1 was like this as a baby it got better but it still happens sometimes. She is 10 in a few days, I can't remember when it stopped being a weekly problem (definitely past toddlerhood).
DD2 never had this; same diet it is probably genetic...

Just keep it short, clean may be try to moisturise? DD1 has eczema so is creamed all over.

I kept asking GP and HV when DD1 was little and they all say it was immature nail beds and she will grow out of it. She did mostly.

HoggleHoggle Tue 13-Jan-15 08:21:32

Thanks ripples that's good to hear. Ds also has very mild patch eczema so I wonder if it's connected in any way.

Weird that so many of our babies have this! Hope they all get better.

mrsbee2be Wed 14-Jan-15 14:55:08

Following as my 2 yo DD too. She was given cream last year as had a fungal infection on her feet, wouldn't wear shoes so maybe had something to do with it?, her feet are now fine but toe nails as you all describe flaky, peeling etc
Tried the cream again but makes no difference

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: