Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ticks

(7 Posts)
Ihavenobrain Sat 10-Jan-15 17:32:19

My ds had a tick when he was 3 for a year. Then when he was 6 for a year. He's now 10 and he's got another one.
Could this be a sure sign of developing Tourette's ?

Ihavenobrain Sat 10-Jan-15 17:33:45

Whoops spelt it wrong. Tic

Ihavenobrain Sun 11-Jan-15 16:59:38

Is there anyone out there confused

chickenfried Sun 11-Jan-15 17:08:56

Hi

The definition of when it turns from tics to tourettes is when they have been constant for over a year and there is a phonic tic. ( i think !) you have "tic free periods of time.

The phonic tic could be throat clearing , sniffing so might not be obvious.

The difficulty I have found is that its actually quite hard to be sure that there were no tics in the interim - things you barely notice I realised with hindsight were tics. ( touching mouth )

And some are not too visible ( tummy clenching)

We are about 2 years in to various changing tics -nothing phonic yet.

My DD as seen by a neurologist who said def chornic motor tics poss tourettes - come back if it gets worse.

Hope that helps !

Ihavenobrain Mon 12-Jan-15 15:12:47

Yes fab. Should I take him docs?

chickenfried Mon 12-Jan-15 22:18:06

i went to see the doc when my daughter was 6 when it first started

i found the less attention i drew to it the better however so i video'd her ( she was head jerking ) and went alone to docs so DD didnt see I was concerned.

GP referred us to consultant nuerologist at local hospital for assessment (the appointment took about 2 months to come through ) - i took her to that - where she was observed and chatted to - it was interesting as they picked up things I hadnt realised were tics and also talked about other stuff - like emotional effects.

the consultant said it looked likely it was tourettes but she said we should leave it a year before an official diagnosis.

From our conversation they dont actually do a great deal even when they do diagnose tourettes. They only medicate in extreme cases when the tics are interferring with the child living a normal life.

She mentioned that they do consider doing CBT ( Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ) - more for older children ( about your DS age)

I think I would go if I were you - it helped me with briefing school and having something official to go in with (that she had been seen by a consultant)

it also helped me come to terms with it a bit

The other place to go for info is the Tourettes Action group - they have forums and practical advise on dealing with tourettes/tics.

feel free to ask if you have any more questions
x

Ihavenobrain Mon 12-Jan-15 23:02:48

Thank you so much for this.
I will take him and then I'll probably have more questions confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: