Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler with bags under their eyes

(12 Posts)
Callistone Fri 09-Jan-15 20:34:09

Has anyone got any more off the wall suggestions what this might be? 3yo has proper bags under her eyes, they make her look exhausted. But she sleeps and eats well and isn't overly tired. I've been to the GP and she's had a blood test and its negative for iron deficiency, coeliac, thyroid etc, she's healthy. The GP is confident its not an allergy of any sort as she has no other symptoms (and I agree, no eczema or bad nappies etc). I was wondering about sinus issues but the GP said that's unlikely as again, no other symptoms.

It might just be the way she looks, but is there anything unusual I might be missing?

scarletforya Fri 09-Jan-15 20:42:27

I notice sometimes this goes hand in hand with asthma.....any coughing/shortness of breath...?

Callistone Fri 09-Jan-15 20:43:53

Not noticeably, no - a little coughy but nothing that has ever made me think she's short of breath. The GP listened to her chest and thought it was fine. But it is something to remember, DP did have it as a child.

Superworm Fri 09-Jan-15 20:47:35

Allergies? Google allergy shiners and see if it fits. DS has allergies gets huge bags sometimes.

Superworm Fri 09-Jan-15 20:50:28

Should add sometimes these are the only noticeable symptom

trixymalixy Fri 09-Jan-15 20:54:37

i was going to say allergies too.....

scarletforya Fri 09-Jan-15 20:58:18

Might be something to think about. Not all asthma manifests as shortness of breath. There is a cough variant asthma well. It's also genetic, so if your dh has it, it's possible your dd has it too.

I work with children and do notice those allergic shiners often seem to come with asthma.

Callistone Fri 09-Jan-15 21:05:20

I'm very 50/50 on allergies, as she has no other symptoms. Which isn't to say that it isn't an allergy but if it's not causing any other discomfit, is it worth us investigating? I don't really know what investigating it entails. They are pretty permanent bags so that would surely suggest something like dust or milk. Its certainly not causing her any other problems.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I do appreciate them as it gives me something else to look out for in case there is a genuine problem. I've googled a fair bit paranoid parent and there is a chance it's just how she looks. I just don't want to miss anything.

yourallmyfavourite Fri 09-Jan-15 21:12:55

My son was like this,
He always looked exhausted even if he'd had 10 hours sleep. He had big bags under his eyes and really looked unwell.
I took him for a sight test when he was 4 and he had quite a high prescription and needed to wear glasses all the time. I didn't put the two together straight away but the bags under the eyes disappeared after a couple of weeks and he looks so much healthier now.
Might be worth a try?

ANewMe2015 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:20:57

I think my toddlers are due to sleep apnea. Mine has big tonsils and/or adenoids can cause this...

They never get a full nights sleep as they repeatedly wake, In my daughters case she fully wakes - but they can just stir in their sleep. Does she snore loudly?

Callistone Fri 09-Jan-15 22:29:00

I don't think she snores, but will pay more attention. The sight test is a very good tip, I'm very.short-sighted so I think I'll take her for a test, thank you

ANewMe2015 Fri 09-Jan-15 22:56:01

Might not be that then! Good luck tracking it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now