Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Undescended testes

(4 Posts)
ohdearitshappeningtome Thu 08-Jan-15 19:16:03

Please can somebody talk to me about this and the effects on children?

Ds1 9 months old has this diagnosed today

Thanks

ohdearitshappeningtome Thu 08-Jan-15 21:05:13

Bump

BlinkAndMiss Fri 09-Jan-15 21:47:52

My DS was diagnosed with this at birth, he's now 2yo. There are 2 types that I know of - one is where the testes have been present but the they go back inside and don't reappear, the other is where the testes has never been present. My DS has one which has never been present (externally).

We're in the middle of the process now and so far there have been no adverse effects, it hasn't bothered him in the slightest. The first stage was a consultation where the consultant tried to find it, but that didn't work so we were referred for an ultrasound. Both of these were non invasive and not painful or distressing at all for him, they didn't find anything on the ultrasound either and the technician told us this. We then had to wait for another appointment to discuss the results and for a plan of action.

DS had to go for investigative surgery, we were told if they found it they would try to bring it down and if they were able then they would put in a stitch to hold it in place. If not then they would have to either remove what was there or 'strangulate' the blood vessels which were too tight to allow it to be loosened enough to be brought down at a later date. It ended up being the 'strangulation' procedure and the investigation surgery took about 30 minutes and he was a day patient rather than being kept in overnight. We're waiting to hear from the hospital about a date for the rest of the procedure to be carried out but expect it to be in about 3 months time.

I was apprehensive about any surgery but basically if it's left untreated then there are risks, the first being that if it grows it can burst the area that it happens to be stuck in. This would be very painful and can affect the nerves in the whole area. The other is the risk of testicular cancer - there is an increased risk of cancer in boys with this condition (albeit a small one). If the testes is left in situ inside the body then any growths etc will go undetected because they can't be felt. This was presented to us as the biggest risk and the reason for having the surgery, it did make me change my mind rapidly.

We've been told that if the testes can't be saved then he can function perfectly well with only only one and won't be left infertile. I
We've been told that we have to watch out for any issues with the remaining testes though, such as twisting or infection (because he will only have that one). They've said that once he's been through puberty he could have a prosthetic one fitted for cosmetic reasons.

DS had to wait until he was 18 months before they started the investigations because they like to see of it rectifies itself, my mum told me my brother had the same thing and it appeared when he was 2 with no intervention. There is no evidence to suggest that anything causes it specifically so don't worry about causes etc and I've spoken to so many people who have sons who have been through this that it seems very common. Perhaps people just don't mention it though? I have a colleague who's DS has been though this and now has 2 'normal' testes, I don't think DS will have the same outcome though although I do wish that he would. If the testes is underdeveloped then it will always remain small.

I hope I've covered what you were asking, I felt overwhelmed when DS was diagnosed at birth but now that we're almost at the final stage I feel like it's not so bad. The surgery part isn't nice but unfortunately the risks of not doing it are worse than the risk of surgery so it's the lesser or 2 evils.

Has anyone explained the situation to you yet? It might be that they're confident it will appear on it's own.

Clobbered Fri 09-Jan-15 22:32:34

It's quite common and it's usually due to delayed development. The testes start off quite high up on the back wall of the abdomen and then travel down through a tunnel in the groin to the scrotum before birth. It's all part of the same mechanism that causes hernias (another very common condition) in boys and men. Often sorts itself out, but if not, you are well advised to have the necessary surgery for reasons detailed above. It will all be sorted before he's old enough to really be aware or bothered about it. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now