Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

It's chicken pox again isn't it 😳

(11 Posts)
Limelight Thu 08-Jan-15 11:38:48

My 3 (almost 4) year old DD has been off colour since Tuesday with a temperature but no other obvious symptoms, apart from a minor cough. I assumed she'd picked up the same fluey bug which DH, DS, and I have all had over Christmas. Although she's had a flu jab.

This morning however I've discovered 4 largish red spots around her groin / inside thigh. She says they're not itchy and don't seem to be bothering her. She's also already had chicken pox (quite badly when she was a small baby)

Still seems the most likely scenario though to me. Am I right?

shushpenfold Thu 08-Jan-15 11:40:01

Are they clear blisters? (shine a torch on them) If so, 99% certain to be CP again. Poor you and poor DD!

Limelight Thu 08-Jan-15 13:00:43

Yes they're clear. Is it too early to drink winewinewine

afreshstartplease Thu 08-Jan-15 13:01:42

Ah bless

I've heard the younger they are when they have them the more likely they are to have it again

Limelight Thu 08-Jan-15 13:36:32

That would explain it. She was very small when she had it - about four months old I think.

She's actually very much healthier than she was two days ago so at least she's playing now etc. But she is DESPERATE to go back to pre-school. She was due back on Wednesday and it seems likely that she's going to be home for a little while longer. She (and I frankly) are developing a clear case of cabin fever...

Well, we'll see. She has an app with the GP tomorrow.

afreshstartplease Thu 08-Jan-15 13:38:45

Have any more spots come out?

Limelight Thu 08-Jan-15 13:44:11

No more. Just the original four.

I remember when DS had it (DD caught it off him the first time around in fact), he had a very small number of spots for a day or so, and then there was an explosion of them! grin

I do think it's curious that she's not itchy however.

afreshstartplease Thu 08-Jan-15 14:25:45

I'd put her in a warm bath

agnesnott Thu 08-Jan-15 14:32:54

I've had chicken pox several times as an adult and child. Each time was worse! I had acyclovir last time.
Apparently some people don't get or keep their immunity. So it is possible she has it again.
Hope she feels better soon.

dementedpixie Thu 08-Jan-15 18:57:44

there is also a greater chance of childhood shingles if they have chicken pox under 1 year so if the spots follow the line of a nerve it could be that rather than chicken pox again

amatuermummy Thu 08-Jan-15 22:05:37

Hand, foot and mouth can cause blister-like spots in the groin area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now