Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby has flu - anything I need to know?

(7 Posts)
BabyHaribo Tue 06-Jan-15 19:33:52

DD 5 months miserable, fever of around 38 all day, dry cough, runny nose sad

DH has it also he's been in bed all day and I've never ever known him take a day off so it just be the real deal!

Read that flu can be dangerous for young babies? I assume I just need to monitor temperature, look fir signs of dehydration etc?

She's breastfeeding a lot so fingers crossed that helps. I've also given her calpol.

Anything else I need to look out for?

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 06-Jan-15 19:37:07

Are you sure it's flu?

This is prime.bronchiolitis season and it gets worse before it gets better.

keep an eye on breathing. get any sucking in.of tummy and chest seen to asap. day 3/4 is when it gets at its worse and may require oxygen.

bf is fab will help with hydration.

dorasee Tue 06-Jan-15 19:42:19

Keep feeding if she takes a bottle, a small amount of water will be fine.
You can give I believe a 2.5 ml dose of Calpol. Double check this on the box or with GP.
Vicks makes a great warm air humidifier. You can order it online (Boots or Amazon). Don't use eucalyptus vaporisers at this stage.

LIZS Tue 06-Jan-15 19:44:14

Agree with Giles. More likely to be RSV (cold virus
) which can quickly develop into bronchiolitis in infants. Good sign that she is feeding little and often but do watch for sickness and laboured breathing.

MildDrPepperAddiction Tue 06-Jan-15 19:58:33

Giles is right. Could be bronchiolitis. My dd has this over Christmas.

It's awful. You're doing the right things.

I hope she's better soon.

BabyHaribo Wed 07-Jan-15 03:25:33

Pretty sure it is flu. Main symptom is fever and dry cough.

Thanks for the info will also keep RSV in mind.

She won't settle so just holding her breathing is slightly fast but not laboured.

SnowLondon Sat 10-Jan-15 23:06:39

How is she now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now