Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Iron Supplements for 6yo

(11 Posts)
pookamoo Tue 06-Jan-15 17:43:44

DD1 is very pale, huge bags under her eyes, constantly tired looking. I am fairly certain this is due to her fussy eating. She has very little intake of protein, doesn't eat red meat any more - nor will she eat leafy greens or beans/pulses. I am hoping it is a phase.

Anyway, it has been suggested that she could take iron supplements in the meantime, and the brand recommended was Feroglobin. Well I can tell you there is not a hope in hell that she would take that. I tried it myself after she'd had a lick of the spoon (didn't swallow the 2.5ml dose) and it is grim. It just tastes like a spoonful of blood, really. I have noticed this with other iron supplements. I take Floradix tablets myself occasionally (particularly after DD2 was born, and when I am feeling generally run down.

I think the tablets might work (suitable from 3 years it says on the packet) but how on earth do you teach a child to take tablets. She's tried, but can't seem to make it swallow down.

Other than that, any recommendations for good children's iron supplements? that don't taste like vampire juice

imsureineverdo Tue 06-Jan-15 18:00:00

Try spatone. It can be mixed with orange juice which makes it virtually tasteless.

pookamoo Tue 06-Jan-15 18:14:09

Is it really tasteless, or does it just make for manky tasting orange juice?

The problem is caused by her refusing to eat anything. She just goes hungry. Whatever I give her, has to be totally inoffensive or taste like chocolate.

MsRainbow Tue 06-Jan-15 18:20:36

You could try liquid Floradix or liquid Floravital. They can be taken from the age of 3. It's ok tasting.

MsRainbow Tue 06-Jan-15 18:25:34

Just to add, it could be worth asking your GP for a blood test. It could be low iron, low Vit D, or something else. If she is then low you will get a prescription. When my 2yo had to have iron prescribed it was a bright red cherry flavoured liquid (which he loved) which I think you could only get on prescription.

pookamoo Tue 06-Jan-15 18:30:54

hmm, I might make her an appointment just to check. Thanks, MsRainbow.

MinceSpy Tue 06-Jan-15 18:48:51

My DD eats very little red meat and no dairy, hasn't done since she stopped breast feeding. Our GP was really supportive and gave me a list of iron rich foods especially those that are dairy free.

If your DD eats dairy then include plenty milk, yougurt and cheese in her diet.

Oranges, dried apricots, watercress, hummus, almonds are all things with a decent iron content that my DD tucks into. Don't forget cereals as they are fortified with iron and vitamins.

A check up with your GP is also worthwhile.

pookamoo Tue 06-Jan-15 19:19:58

Thank you mincespy

She eats yoghurt and sometimes has milk on her cereal although prefers it dry hmm! She isn't a fan of cheese at all. Doesn't eat cheesy sauces etc.

She used to like apricots, but went off them. I'll give them another go, and the hummus is sometimes a hit.

Think I will definitely take her for a checkup. So many people seem to just criticise parents of "fussy eaters". My stance on it has always been not to offer an alternative, so they either eat or go hungry, but she just chooses to go hungry. She is very dramatic and emotional, and I am certain it's because she's so tired as a result of not eating properly (as well as being 6!)

Baddz Tue 06-Jan-15 19:24:24

Floradix

MinceSpy Tue 06-Jan-15 20:00:26

Pookamoo my DD enjoys a little pot of dry cereals instead of crisps etc. Raisins and other dried fruit also worth trying.

Like you I've always refused to cook separate meals or 'indulge' fussy eating but we all have preferences and as my DD isn't asking for sweets, crisps or fizzy drinks I try to make some allowances. Hummus, pita bread strips and veggie sticks always seem to go down well. As she gets older things do seem to have got easier.

pookamoo Tue 06-Jan-15 21:41:30

I really hope so, but it has come to the point where she hardly eatsa.anything. we would live on plain pasta with tomato puree if she we're in charge of the menu!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now