Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5-Year-Old Really REALLY bad breath

(12 Posts)
natashajayne Tue 06-Jan-15 16:39:28

My son last week started to get really bad breath and I don't mean the common bad breath like someone hasn't brushed their teeth, as in i had to hold my breath, turn away and gasp for air.

Everytime i go to talk to him at face level its overwhelming but i try my best not to make myself obvious as i know its not his fault. I cant even begin to describe the smell. Cross between wee, poo and something thats died

Its not brushing as i do it every often, I've checked his mouth and he doesn't have dry mouth, from my knowledge he has nothing up his nose (i have asked him twice), He is regular in the toilet department. I dont know what else to think of. Anyone experienced this and what was the problem??

slippermaiden Tue 06-Jan-15 16:42:34

Take him to the doctor. Is he otherwise well? Might have infection in tonsils or sinuses?

atticusclaw Tue 06-Jan-15 16:44:33

Children often get bad breath when they're ill. Could he be about to come down with something?

Mrsmorton Tue 06-Jan-15 16:48:12

Does he have any loose teeth or his first adult molars erupting behind his last baby tooth? That gives children bad breath.

RidingEast Tue 06-Jan-15 19:31:19

Tonsil stones?

3littlefrogs Tue 06-Jan-15 19:33:21

Take him to the GP.
Kidney problems cause really horrible bad breath.

natashajayne Tue 06-Jan-15 23:43:20

Thanks for the replys i have made a list and a appointment at my GP x

dm1mum Wed 07-Jan-15 10:17:16

This happened to a friend's DC and it did turn out to be something up his nose.

I know you have asked your DS but in this case the offending item had been there for quite a while and the DC claimed not to remember even when it eventually came out.

I hope your GP can solve the mystery for you.

SnowLondon Sat 10-Jan-15 23:04:40

Any news?

nocoolnamesleft Sat 10-Jan-15 23:11:55

Has he shoved something up his nose? That can lead to interesting, um, festering smells.

Browneyesblue Sat 10-Jan-15 23:18:00

I thought tonsil stones too - they can smell terrible, really awful. How do his tonsils look? Are they pitted? There are lots of (horrible) pictures on google.

Longdistance Sat 10-Jan-15 23:26:15

Oh, I have serial shoveitupyournoser. She's done it twice hmm

First time it was a black pea.

Second time was a piece of sponge.

Both removed from under general anaesthetic.

Eww, yes, causes very stinky breath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now