Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Swimming after grommets

(9 Posts)
mrsbee2be Tue 06-Jan-15 09:25:54


My DD 3 is due to have grommets, adenoids & tonsils out on Friday, does anyone know how long it will be until she can swim again?
My older DD had them done 10 years ago at a similar age but was told to avoid swimming, & reading online I can't seem to find a clear answer.
She is due to start a new term of swimming on Thursday & I'm try to decide whether it is worth paying for a term of lessons or not!

TittyBojangles Tue 06-Jan-15 10:16:53

We were told 6 to 8 weeks, grommits only though.

CaramelAndToffee Tue 06-Jan-15 22:32:28

I'd avoid swimming for a while. Certainly wouldn't be signing up for this term's lessons. So many germs in swimming pool water. Let it all heal and settle well. Far more important than swimming. Hope the op goes well and she's looking forward to the ice cream!

mrsbee2be Thu 08-Jan-15 07:39:46

Thanks, the advice I can find it all so different, some say 2 weeks some say 6 months.... Very confusing. Will have to wait and see how she is after & make a decision

beautifulgirls Thu 08-Jan-15 18:13:47

We had a period to wait after they were first put in (?4 weeks??) and then my daughter swam regularly with hers after that. We bought putty buddies from and a neoprene head band to use and we never had any problems with these. We used the putty buddies alone in the bath too.

alwaysabattle Thu 08-Jan-15 19:02:24

Hi my ds had grommets in June and it's 6 weeks before they should go swimming they'll will have had there follow up check by then and must use ear putty and headbandit. My friend had her tonsils out just before Christmas and was told about a month before swimming or when they was fully healed hope this helps abit

Waterandtea Thu 08-Jan-15 19:22:46

We were told not at all until after the 6wk check up after the op and the ok with the ear putty/head band thing but was recommended that it was still best not to fully submerge the head until the grommets came out.

stoopstofolly Thu 08-Jan-15 19:31:29

Our consultant told us that the not swimming thing was a bit "old school"- leave it a couple of weeks, and then swimming is fine, unless you plan in spending large amounts of time underwater.
Both DC have had 2 lots each, and we've always just waited 2 weeks, and never had a problem.

mrsbee2be Thu 08-Jan-15 21:59:14

Thanks everyone...Stoops, I'm thinking that too, we currently swim twice a week so will be weird not! A couple of weeks & then back to it hopefully albeit with plugs & a head band too....
I'm sure every medical professional will say different, will ask each one I see tomorrow & I'll update I've the weekend with their various opinions!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: