Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I worry about the number of vomiting bugs DD (4) is picking up?

(5 Posts)
peacefuleasyfeeling Mon 05-Jan-15 15:18:41

DD1 (4) has just vomited (she has a sore throat and a cold but isn't really ill). This is the third bout of vomiting she's had since the start of December, missing two days of school after each occasion on account of the 48 hour rule (+a day extra last time as she threw up again on day 2). I'm a primary school teacher, albeit KS2, but I can't say I know of many, if any, kids who have been off this frequently with a DV kind of bug. Should I be worried about how often she's being sick, or is it to be expected at her age / this time of year? We're lucky in as much as we both work part time so sick kids don't impact on either of us going to work, but I wonder if I should have her looked at? Anyone else's children picking up one tummy bug after the other?

helensburgh Mon 05-Jan-15 22:15:06

Hi,

It does seem excessive in sch a short time.

Has either of you contracted these bugs after her? Or do you know where she's got them from?

If you are sure they are bugs I think you need to tackle school re theirm48 hr rule, doesn't seem like people are adhering it.

Bapple Mon 05-Jan-15 22:32:27

Does she have any other symptoms )(eg stomach pain) or just vomiting? Do the attacks follow a similar pattern - do they tend to start in the morning?

I asked a similar question on here when ds1 was 4 - he was later diagnosed with cyclical vomiting syndrome (which, odd as it may sound, was a relief). Amongst other triggers, he often starts an episode when he comes into contact with a cold virus/sore throat.

peacefuleasyfeeling Tue 06-Jan-15 14:56:53

Thank you both. Some really interesting points. We're not getting sick, but then I'm a bit keen on the Dettol... Actually, once I'm sure she picked it up from DD2, and they both had fevers. But the two times since, she has vomplained of a sore throat primarily and then, just before throwing up, a sore tummy. There's no diarrhoea. She has had a low-grade mucousy cold for ages. Hm, think I'll look into this cyclical vomiting syndrome too. Might say to her teacher and ask for a mention of the 48h rule in the newsletter. I feel so sorry for her, she loves school and hates missing out on anything. Thanks again.

peacefuleasyfeeling Tue 06-Jan-15 14:57:34

*complained, obviously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now