Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Effective headlice treatment...

(20 Posts)
AnonymousBird Mon 05-Jan-15 08:02:47

DD (9) came home at the end of term with head lice. We've treated her four times now with Lyclear and it clearly isn't working. We get the lice out but the treatment lotion doesn't get rid of the eggs and the comb isn't fine enough to dislodge the eggs from what I came see. They are still attached to her hair. I remove what I can but I won't get them all by eye, best will in the world.

We've not had to deal with this before so what else could we try please that WORKS?!

Thanks.

wonderpants Mon 05-Jan-15 08:07:06

Section off the hair and comb thoroughly with a nitty gritty comb. Go right from the scalp through the ends and wipe or rinse after each one. It gets the lice and eggs out. It takes me around 90 minutes to do my dd with thick long hair!

Repeat every other day until definitely clear.

Choccybaby Mon 05-Jan-15 08:10:38

Definitely need the nitty gritty comb, other combs don't remove eggs as well. And even if a few remain if you keep repeating it they will go eventually.
Alternatively giving her a crew cut would work wink

AnonymousBird Mon 05-Jan-15 08:24:03

Nitty gritty comb it is. Used on dry hair or wet with conditioner? Her hair isn't too long but so much easier to comb when wet.

Thank you.

NK5BM3 Mon 05-Jan-15 08:25:43

Wet with conditioner. Nitty gritty comb. Good luck!

AlpacaLypse Mon 05-Jan-15 08:28:19

Nitty Gritty Comb, the best £10 you will ever spend. Wet hair, loads of cheapo conditioner, kitchen roll to wipe the comb on, plonk child in front of telly and get on with it.

AnonymousBird Mon 05-Jan-15 08:31:40

Thanks! Ordered and arriving tomorrow.

woolshortage Mon 05-Jan-15 09:27:57

I also mixed some drops of tea tree oil into the conditioner as that is supposed to be v effective at killing off the nits. After nitty grittying the hair, I put more conditioner mixed with a few drops of tea tree on over night and had DD sleep on a towel.

TallulahTwinkletoes Mon 05-Jan-15 21:00:20

I have an issue with lice too!

Was told by CM that Dd has nits (I didn't even notice! How terrible) and have bought full marks five min solution (shocked by the price) and so far, I've found more but they appear to be dead. I'm going to condition and comb every day til gone.

What's the difference between the comb with that and a nitty gritty comb?

Millie2013 Wed 07-Jan-15 06:40:33

The nitty gritty comb is metal and each tooth has spiral grooves down it (I think) and the teeth are close together, so it grips the lice and eggs far more effectively
I love mine! I am currently using it on DD every night and after the first night when I got maybe 6 lice, now a few nights in, I'm only getting the odd immature one. Prior to this, we tried headrin and found it wasn't effective at all

bigbuttons Wed 07-Jan-15 06:46:12

Original listerine . Works every time for live lice. Need to repeat In a week to catch hatchlings. It's cheap and a million times more effective than hugely overpriced lotions.

AnonymousBird Thu 08-Jan-15 20:05:54

We have the nitty gritty, and my main criticisms are

a) it tugs at DD's hair, even when I am going slow through that section of hair (we pre brushed to ensure no tangles) it stretches some of her hair and hurts her

b) how do you know if you have anything? Nothing shows up against the metal. We rinsed the comb after each stroke, and I don't know if we washed anything out or not - with our old plastic white fine comb at least you could have a good chance of seeing if you were getting anything!

Tips gratefully received.

NK5BM3 Fri 09-Jan-15 10:41:06

You need to do it when it's wet, and with some conditioner. So what I do is, I sit the child down, put some movie or TV show on the iPad or something. Wet the hair, put lots of conditioner (cheap one will do), and then start combing.

It works. The big fat live ones will come out easily. The eggs too.

Wash off, and use normal shampoo again, wash and dry.

Repeat the next day or two. Repeat until you can't see the buggers again.

Divingforpearls Fri 09-Jan-15 11:29:43

Delacet really works. Lice and eggs killed too. It's natural stuff, but amazing; I love combing afterwards and seeing all the dead lice fall out. When you first put it on you can feel all the lice moving to try and get away from it, but after about half an hour this stops - cos they are dead or dying Ah ha ha ha haaa!!!!!!!! (Evil laugh there!)

Millie2013 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:52:48

Nitty gritty, yes, conditioner to prevent tangles, comb, dip in a glass of water so you can see what comes off, wipe with kitchen roll, repeat. It's impossible to see the tiny eggs, but you may see fewer eggs on DC's hair and it must be used for 2 weeks, to know everything has hatched. Don't forget to treat other family members at the same time, I found some immature live in my hair the other day. Bbleugh

Millie2013 Fri 09-Jan-15 11:53:20

Lice, bleugh.damn phone!

RosinaCopper Fri 09-Jan-15 12:06:37

I didn't love the nitty gritty comb (my children have very fine hair) and preferred the plastic combs and the Boots electronic comb.

The electronic comb kills the adult lice and we followed up with tea tree conditioner and the plastic comb. Did the electronic twice a day (dry hair) and the conditioner and combing before bath every day for about 2 weeks and got rid of them on my 3 dcs and me.

BUT, we all have very fine straight hair and theirs is short. It mustt be a nightmareif you have dcs with long, thick/ curly hair.

iseenodust Fri 09-Jan-15 12:10:01

Go to a pharmacist and buy some Nyda. Follow the instructions to the letter, the whole family and your problem will be solved in one treatment, kills adults and eggs.

AnonymousBird Fri 09-Jan-15 18:02:22

We had wet hair plus oodles of conditioner, and despite the fact we pre brushed the hair, it still tugged her hair.

We will persist though, and the kitchen roll/glass of water tip is a good idea, as I think we're past the worst so this is now a case of getting rid of any eggs left really. Not seen anything "alive" since the weekend now.

PeanutButterOnly Fri 09-Jan-15 18:44:13

We had first encounter with this over the holidays. We used nitty gritty and an overnight treatment just once after a week. Then carried on combing for another 10 days or so every other day. On the up side I think dd quite enjoyed the one on one attention of the combing sessions. I'm now going to comb thoroughly once a week in case of a repeat (learnt lesson here)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now